Chapter Seven

Hermione yawned and turned the page, she had already stopped looking  for the "Half-blood Prince" . Instead she revisit one of her favorite books, Hogwarts, A History. Malfoy's eyes widened when he saw her book. "Thats a really big book." he said. "No it's not," she replied. "I've read it at least a dozen times since first year." "How can you read so much?" asked Malfoy. "Maybe it's a mud-blood thing." she grumbled, trying to end the small talk. Why was he trying to have a normal, friendly conversation? They were no where close to being friends.

...

It hurt. Hearing Hermione shut down conversations that way hurt. It reminded Draco of the permenant damage he caused. He sighed. He was about to do something crazy, about to risk it all..."Hermione,"

...

Hermione's head snapped up faster than a Nimbus 2000. Malfoy never called her by her first name. She looked up, puzzled. "I just," he sighed, "I'm sorry."  Hermione crossed her arms. "For what?" she challenged. "Everything, Hermione. Every word I've hurt you with for the past years." he replied in a voice that was nothing like Malfoy. "Why should I believe that?" she asked, trying to keep her own voice steady. Draco shook his head, looking down, not daring to meet her eyes. "I don't know." he whispered. "Then I don't believe it." Hermione said, before getting up out of her chair and leaving, not even bothering to put her book away.

Stupid, bloody Malfoy. Thinking he can just apologize and expect her to believe him. You can't just torture someone for years, then say sorry and just think they're going to believe you, let alone forgive them. Still, Hermione's brain couldn't process the idea of Malfoy apologizing. Not understanding things, it wasn't a familiar feeling to Hermoine, and she didn't want to get used to it. Why was Malfoy apologizing anyway? Why now after all he had done? He couldn't have just changed his mind and realized he was wrong over night. He must want something, and it defiantly wasn't her forgiveness. Maybe Harry was right. Hermione sat down on the sofa in the Gryffindor common room, she was the only person there. She groaned. Hermione hated the idea of Harry proving her wrong, but there was no other realistic reason why Malfoy would ever apologize, or become polite so sudden. She felt stupid, why had she given Malfoy books on vanishing cabinets without questioning it at all? She knew it wasn't for class, she should tell Harry about this, they could figure it out together. She stood up, and marched up the stairs to the boys dormitories. She took a deep breath, and knocked. A moment later, Neville opened up the door, yawning. Hermione must have spent more time in the library than she thought. "Oh hey there, Hermione, what's going on?" he asked, giving her a bright smile.  "Hello, I was just looking for Harry. I was going to talk to him about something." she replied. "Well, Harry's already fallen asleep, Ron too. I think they were pretty tired after Quidditch tryouts...is there something you would like me to tell him for you? I could wake him up if you'd like..." he said, pointing his thumb, behind him. "Oh! No that's alright, he should get his rest...I just," she sighed. She couldn't do it. She didn't want to believe Malfoy was anything worse than a bully. She wanted to believe he could change his ways before they lead to something worse, because of one could change then so could others.  "I just wanted to remind him to write his essay for herbology...It's due Monday. I'll just tell him tomorrow." she said quietly, looking down at her shoes. "Oh..okay. Well goodnight Hermione." he said. "Goodnight." she replied, before turning herself around and making her way down the stairs. She should have told Neville to wake him up, Harry wouldn't have minded, he'd be happy for some type of clue. Making her way up the stairs to the girls dormitories, Hermione thought of the past weeks events. There had been plenty in her life to question, but this was the most confusing. Hermione moved a couple of books off her bed, after putting on her dressing gown. She then collapsed into bed, and felt a sudden sharp pain in her back, another book. Setting it down on the floor next to her,Hermione thought of Malfoy in the library asking her if she was the one hiding books in the back of shelves, and caught herself smiling. She stopped immediately, Malfoy wasn't someone that made her smile. She thought of his apology, about how it seemed sincere, and thought of the events that lead up to it. Hermione fell asleep that night thinking of Draco Malfoy.

...

Draco couldn't sleep.  He closed his eyes and practically begged his own eyelids to feel the weight of sleep, but sleep never came. He knew he would be very tired in the morning, that is if he was awake by then. Draco would probably be asleep till noon if he didn't fall asleep soon. He just couldn't stop thinking of Hermione and his own stupidity. These were two things that were almost always crossing his mind together. Draco tried to pinpoint the exact moment when his beliefs had changed.  When did he decide his father had been wrong? He guessed it must have been a slow change...starting around the end of fourth year when Cedric Diggory passed away. He saw the school he was growing up in mourn together, over something his father was a part of. He starting seeing things a little differently, and eventually his opinions were completely changed. Even after all of that, his mind was clearly ahead of his mouth, considering what he said in potions just days before.  Draco lay awake in bed for what felt like forever, before finally drifting off to sleep, an unmistakable pair of brown eyes printed onto his eyelids.

Hope you enjoyed chapter seven! Please leave a comment letting me know what you think about the story so far! Thanks for reading! -jazzyjstar*