Chapter Twenty-Eight

Draco could not ignore his own heavy sigh that followed the reading of a blank parchment hanging from his mirror. He had written to her this morning asking if she was up for breakfast-when there was no reply, he let himself assume was still asleep.  After all, they were up quite late under the stars at the Quidditch field. 

        Then again he found himself with a qyil staring at the parchment. He set it down and shook his head. He was simply bored, he told himself, just before grabbing is coat and scarf to head out into Hogsmede alone.

...

Hermione yawned as she handed over the last set of galleons she intended on spending on Christmas presents. She offered a small smile to the tall thin witch whom handed her the merchandise that was now hers. Inside the small bag was a present she could not wait  to wrap.  She saw it and immediately knew who it was perfect for

'

"One butterbeer and a...Pygmy Puff? You serve Pygmy Puffs?!" she exclaimed. "It's just a dessert." said a familiar voice from behind. She whirled around to see a smirking Draco Malfoy. "No Pygmy Puffs are harmed," he added. "She'll have a butterbeer and a pygmy puff..I'll have a pumpkin juice and a Hippogriff Hot Cake." he said taking out a wallet and paying for the both of them despite Hermione's protest. "Are you following me, Malfoy?" she asked. "Absolutley not, but I did fancy a snack. I sent you a message."  "I head out early this morning...I had no idea." she explained. He shrugged, "It's alright." he replied as he took the butterbeer off the counter to hand to Hermione along with the pumpkin juice. Taking both their desserts in his hands, he led the way. They found a small table for two in the cornor towards the back.

...

"When are you leaving?" Draco asked once they were seated. "Tomorrow afternoon, Mrs. Weasley will be here to pick me up. Floo powder." she added with a cringe. "Ah," Draco replied. "Have you done your packing?" he asked. She nodded taking in another sip of butterbeer. "So you're free for the evening?" he asked, feeling somewhat embarrassed, more anxious than he realized was necessary. 

...

"Yes." she replied, attempting to hide the anticipation in her voice She supposed she had become qyite close to Draco over the past week or so. She had met him for the second time, with a greater outcome.  It didn't  really explain the excitement that erupted and bubbled in her stomach when ever they were planning to eat at the Quidditch field. It certainly was not the feeling she got when Hary or Ron were around , but then again she was used to having then around and Draco was new. I didn't make much sense, but Hermione needed reason to remain calm, so she was sticking to that. 

        "How about a Christmas picnic?" he suggested. "Sounds perfect." she admit, thinking to herself of the little shiny bag sitting at the edge of the table among the others.  "Quidditch field?" "Where else?"

~

The special present, along with the others she would be needing to take with her to The Burrow were wrapped and ready to go...as was Hermione looking in the mirror one last time before she head out to meet Draco at the Quidditch field for their Early Christmas Picnic. 

She found herself nervously trying to fix her hair, she had not been able to get it to her liking-she never could. She felt that this picnic was special...a little more formal than the one's prior. That was ridiculous. There was nothing formal about a picnic...or maybe there was if it was for an occasion? Did it even matter? She reached for a bottle of perfume, a gift from Ginny last Christmas. She loved the scent, but had only used it a few times, as she never thought perfume was necessary. Yet she was imagining sitting somewhat close to Draco tonight on the Quidditch field, and she wondered if he would notice the sweet scent. She wondered if he would like it. She then wondered when she her thoughts had started to resemble what she imagined Ginny's were like. There was no need for fuss over perfume and the approval of..a boy. Needless to say she spritzed on a light amount of the perfume anyway. 

Grabbing her scarf, jacket, and that specially wrapped gift she began to head out...when she noticed the fire crackling in the fireplace. Then she heard an urgent cry..."Hermione!" it exclaimed. Dropping everything Hermione ran to the fire, sliding on to her knees in front of the blazing messenger. "Mr. Weasley? Is that you?" she asked. "Bellatrix," he answered. "She burned it. Gone...all gone." he cried. "What?! What is it? What's gone?!" she asked. "Our home...it's been burned to ashes...I...I am speaking to you from Remus's." his voice was thick with emotion. "Is everyone alright?!" she cried, she felt the tears begin. "Yes...yes we are all safe. It's just the house it's...it's...." he sighed. "Hermione I'm so sorry but...I don't think Molly can go get you tomorrow...there's so many of us...and so little space I..." Hermione nodded quickly. "I understand, don't apologize...I'm so sorry for whats happened. Please let the others know I...I send my love." 

...

Draco leaned against the wall beside the fat lady in the Gryffindor portrait, whom was giving him an unpleasant lecture. "Slytherin boy," she growled. "What are you doing here with those flowers? Nothing good can ever come from a Slytherin boy coming here with flowers...I should know I see them all come and go...break ups and make ups. You can't possibly have a girlfriend in there...I know the girls in there. There's no way...." and on and on she chattered as he miserably slung his head waiting for Hermione. He was to meet her at the field, but he decided for this special picnic he might walk her over. He didn't understand what was taking so long. Suddenly the door opened, and out came Hermione as the fat lady let out one last shriek before shutting up entirely. 

One look at her face and he knew something was wrong, She stood there, staring at him in total silence for just a moment....right before collapsing into his arms, the bouquet of flowers falling to the cold floor. 

I would like to apologize for how long this chapter took to get published. I felt that I was losing sight of what I wanted this fanfiction to be and instead just writing the first dumb thing that came to mind. I want to always make sure that every chapter in this story does not resemble just any other Dramione fanfic. I want my readers to enjoy it in it's entirety. So I waited, gave myself time to think over what the plot was how the ending would go...how I would get there. I hope you are still enjoying my writing and thank you so much for 8 thousand reads...please leave a comment with your thoughts! Thank you! -jazzyjstar*