Chapter 4

Today was miserable. Everyone just kept pointing and whispering and laughing. I wanted nothing more than to just crawl into a hole and die. During lunch I went to the library instead of the cafeteria like I always did. I pulled out Gerard's note and smiled. Scrawled across the note on the bottom was his phone number and I dialed it nervously.

"Hello?" Gerard asked.

"Hi, it's Frank," I said quietly.

"Oh, hey, Frankie," he said. "What's up?"

"A-are you doing anything today?" I asked.

"No, I just had one morning class today so I'm basically spending the rest of the day on my couch eating chips," he said. "You wanna join?"

"Please?" I asked and he chuckled. "Can you pick me up from school?"

"Yeah, where is it?" He asked.

I gave him the address. "You have to be here by two, that's when classes end."

"Alright, I'll be there waiting," Gerard said. "I'll see you later."

I hung up and sniffled quietly. I read my book quietly as someone sat beside me. I looked over at Patrick as I frowned in confusion.

"Hi, I'm Patrick," he said.

Frank," I replied.

"I-I thought you looked pretty in your dress," he said.

I turned away from him, pursing my lips. He left and I watched him walk away. He looked sad and I frowned. I don't know why I did that, I-I shouldn't have done that. He's the only one in this school that actually seemed to be okay with me wearing a dress.

Lunch ended and I walked back into the hall. People snickered at me but I tried to keep my head down. Classes went by slow until finally it was over and I walked towards where Gerard was waiting for me.

"Hey, faggot," Pete said, shoving me.

"Leave me alone already," I said. "Mia, come on."

"Frank, we are so done," Jamia said as she laughed.

I whimpered, shaking my head.

"No one wants to date a fag," Pete said.

"Well at least my girlfriends never complained about how bad I was in bed," I said.

People laughed at Pete and his face practically went red. He chased me out of the school with his friends and he shoved me. I fell to the ground and scraped my knee when my pants ripped. I scrambled up to my feet and ran away. I jumped into Gerard's car as they chased me.

"Drive! Drive!" I shouted.

Gerard drove off and I sighed as I leaned back.

"What happened?" He asked.

"They fucking hate me," I said. "Th-they hate me."

"It's gonna be okay," he said.

I sniffled, shaking my head.

"They hate me," I cried. "M-my dad won't even look at me."

We got to his apartment and he lead me up to sit on the couch. He wrapped his arms around me as I cried into his shoulder.

"It's okay, honey," he said softly. "It's gonna be okay."

I cried quietly and he ran his fingers through my short hair.

"Frankie, don't worry," he whispered. "How much longer until you graduate?"

"I-I only have three weeks and then there's like two more weeks until the ceremony," I said, managing to calm down.