Chapter 12

It's Friday. Surpisely, the north's cold fronts have reached us. It's still fall though, so we aren't dying of cold or snowing. I wear my leatherman jacket and blue jeans.

I park my car and walk towards the office. Principal Grace wants to see I made peace with Jimmy. As I am walking, I see people still staring at me. It has been already a day that Valerie freaked out but people are still interested in what's going to happen next.

I go inside the office and see Jimmy waiting for me. "Hey,"

"Hey," he says.

"Look, I know I texted you about apologizing and I am sorry. I just thought that Valerie meant something else when you kissed her."

"you think I was going to rape her?" he asks.

"Yeah,"

"Why?"

"Just, I am sorry," I say.

"Good," Principal Grace comes out of her office. "I see you boys are making peace."

"yes mrs. Grace," Jimmy says. "I accept your apology. I just want to be with Valerie."

"But she doesn't like you," I say.

"Hey hey, I thought we were making process," Principal Grace says, "Look, friends shouldn't fight because of a girl. If Parker made it clear to you Jimmy, that she doesn't want to be with you, you need to respect that."

Jimmy shrugs, "I just don't know what to say to her."

"Say sorry and continue like if nothing happened," I say. "Valerie is a good girl. She doesn't hate you."

"You think?"

"Yeah."

He nods, "Okay. Well I am going to go talk to her."

"Good!" Principal Grace exclaims. "How nice to have a happy ending. Now go to class."

"Yes mam," Jimmy and I say.

....

I finally get the chance to see Valerie afterschool. I see she is wearing a cute white long sleeve blouse with black skinny jeans. She has a brown beanie on her. She kinda looks cute.

I begin to walk towards her. Hopefully, she wants to talk to me. I don't know how she feels about me hiting Jimmy. "Hey Valerie," I say.

She turns and shyly smiles. "Hi."

"Are you alright?" I ask.

"Yeah, how about you?"

"I'm okay, so did Jimmy talked to you?"

She nods, "Yeah. We are cool."

"Nice," I say. I zip up my jacket and look out at my car. It's between a red Lexus and brown beat up car. "So, you want to go for yogurt?"

"Sure," she says.

We walk to my car and drive to the yogurt place. It is a self serve thing so Valerie begins to get yogurt. I see she only puts on peanuts and a coat of chocolate to her vanilla yogurt. I never seen her eat something with lots of sugar or fat. No wonder she is super skinny, even skinnier than Sally. Shush Nick! Don't think about Sally.

"Are you going to get some?" Valerie asks. I nod as I get a cup and get random things to it. I pay and we sit by the window.

"You think I'm pretty?" Valerie asks out of the blue. I almost spit out my yogurt. "Umm, you are?" I answer.

She stops eating her yogurt. "am I too skinny?"

Why is she asking these type of questions? What do I say?