Chapter 10

I put on a simple black button down shirt and clean dark jeans. I comb my hair and get my keys. "Mom, I am going now," i yell as I walk to the living room.

"Wait," Dad suddenly comes out of the kitchen. "Why are you going?" Mom quickly comes to his side. "He is having dinner with the Parkers."

"Really? So is your relationship with Valerie working out?" Dad smiles.

"I guess," I shrug. "Mr. Parker wants to talk to me."

"About?" mom asks.

"Just talk mom,"

Dad places his hand on my shoulder. "Don't mess it up. I am having a success thanks to Mr. Parker."

"Sure dad," I open the door and leave to Valerie's house.

....

"Coming sir," I hear Judith's voice. She opens the door, "Hello Mr. Nick."

"I told you to call me Nick only," I step in the house. "Where's everyone?"

"They are waiting in the dinning room," Judith smiles. She walks me to the dinning room and I see the whole family staring at me. I see Mr. Parker with his office suit still on, Mrs. Parker with a dress like her hair color, and Valerie has a long sleeve black dress with her hair in curls. She looks cute.

"Hello, good evening," I break the silence.

Mrs. Parker smiles wide, "Hello Nick, you look handsome."

I blush, can't forget she is a good looking woman, "Thanks. You both ladies look great."

"Thanks," she smiles.

"Sit," Mr. Parker says, "Next to Valerie."

I nod and sit next to her. She smells like cherries. "Hi Valerie," I whisper to her.

She turns to me, "Hi Nick." But she doesn't smile.

"Okay, Judith, you may serve now," Mr. Parker says. We eat, I am not even hungry, I am worried about Valerie, but I still eat whatever food is in front of me.

"So, how is school going?" Mrs. Parker asks me.

"Umm," I drink some wine, "good."

"What are you doing for Christmas?" Mr. Parker asks.

What? It's barely December. "Umm, don't know sir," I answer.

"You think it will snow sweetie?" Mrs. Parker asks her husband.

"Don't know, in the south the weather is not the same as the north."

They go on their trip talking and I turn my attention to Valerie. "Hey, are you alright?" I whisper.

"Yeah," she whispers back.

"So, how about desert?" Mr. Parker claps.

"No thanks dad," Valerie answers. "I am already full."

"Okay sweetie," he says.

"Can I be excused?" she asks.

"Sure," Mrs. Parker answers.

Valerie stands and walks away. I stand, "Umm, excuse me."

"Wait," Mr. Parker says. "we need to talk remember? Sit."

Darn, fine. I sit back and ask what is going on.

"How is the relationship between you and sally?" Mr. Parker asks.

"It's over," I answer.

"you sure?"

"Yes sir."