Chapter 7

It is Saturday and I am waiting outside the movie theater. I convinced Jimmy to come with me so we can hang out with Valerie.

"hey," I turn around and see jimmy walking towards me. "Where is Val?"

I shrug, "I don't know, the movie is about to start."

Jimmy combs his curly hair back. "So are we going to see the chick flick?"

I nod, "Valerie wants to see it."

"I hate those movies," Jimmy says.

"Sorry for being late, I couldn't find my wallet,"

Valerie comes in the picture. She looks cute. She has a white dress on with red converse shoes. Her hair is loose and straight.

"It's fine," Jimmy smiles.

"Let's go then," Valerie walks to the ticket booth and buys the tickets. I buy the popcorn and drinks and Jimmy will pay for a gift for Valerie.

...

"That was so sweet," Valerie says as we walk out of the theater. "I wish my wedding will be like that."

For some reason, I feel sad for her. Everyday I have a constent reminder that she might die. How can I make her happy like I promised her dad?

"Hey dude," Jimmy snaps his finges in front of my face, "I asked if you wanted to drive."

I nod, "Yeah sure." He gives me his keys and gets in the backseat with Valerie.

"You don't want to take the passenger seat?" I ask Valerie.

"No thanks," she smiles.

"drive man," Jimmy says. I start the car and drive to the mall. Valerie talks with Jimmy about literature which ironically is Jimmy's worse subject in school. He is trying to hard to please Valerie. He wants her to like him. I need something to have alone time with her.

We arrive to the mall. I quickly to go Valerie's door and open it. "Thanks," she smiles. I take her hand and we begin to walk.

"Hey!" Jimmy catches up with us. He looks down at my hand. "you forgot your wallet Val."

"Oh, let me get it," she says.

Jimmy gets her hand out of mine and gives her the wallet. "I got for you."

"Thanks," she gets it and puts it on her small black purse around her shoulder.

"Okay, let's go," Jimmy says.

We walk around the mall before Jimmy decides to buy her a necklace.

"Which one would you like?" I ask.

Valerie looks at the glass box. "Guys, you shouldn't buy me anything."

"But we want to," Jimmy says.

She smiles at both of us. "I like the one with the red heart charm."

Jimmy tells the man he would like to purchase it.

"Beautiful piece. That will be 80 dollars,"

Jimmy gives him the credit card and I place the necklace around her neck. She looks at me, "I love it."

"Glad you did," Jimmy smiles. "I think I deserve a thanks."

Valerie chuckles, "Thanks Jimmy."

Jimmy points at his cheek, "Right here."

Aw come on, the old thank kiss card...seriously?