two is better than one.

So maybe it's true that I can't live without you

And maybe two is better than one

But there's so much time to figure out the best of my life

And you've already got me coming undone

And I'm thinking two is better than one

Two Is Better Than One ~ Boys Like Girls

~

 Luke's POV

I woke up in Michael's bed, very confused of where the hell I was. I didn't remember much from last night. Well, I remember crying myself to sleep. I stumbled my way out of bed, going downstairs to see if Michael was up.

"Morning, sunshine." Michael greeted when I entered the kitchen. I moaned in response, walking over to the coffee maker. I really need a cup of coffee.

"Did you sleep well?" He asked me. Not really.

"Yeah." I lied. I woke up with a headache from crying myself to sleep. My cheeks have tear tracks. My eyes are red and puffy. Do I look like I fucking slept well?

"Good, 'cause it's twelve in the afternoon." He said. What.

"Are you fucking kidding me? I slept that much? I went to bed at eight last night!" I said, shocked. Did I really lose that much sleep?

"Yeah, I'm serious. There's a clock literally right next to me, and you are literally looking right at it, yet you're asking me if I am telling you the right time." Michael said. Sarcastic bastard.

"Shut up. It's too early to deal with your bullshit." I said, taking a sip of coffee.

"You know what? I don't need this. I'm punk rock." Michael said, snapping his fingers and walking into the living room. Drama queen. And, no, I don't mean king. He's quite...Michael.

"Whatever." I mumbled, throwing away my finished coffee. I grabbed my keys, about to walk out the door, when Michael stopped me.

"Where the hell do you think you're going?" He asked me, turning his attention from the telly to me.

"Excuse me? You're not my mum." I said. 

"Well, you're not going anywhere without eating." He said, getting up and walking towards the kitchen. 

"I'm not hungry." I said. And it was the truth. I've recently lost my appetite.

"Luke, I know that not eating is an effect of sadness, but you need to eat. Why do you think Ashton is in the hospital in the first place?" He said. He's right. I need to stay strong for Ashton. I told myself that I would stay strong for Ashton.

"Okay." I said, waiting for Michael to cook something. He started making waffles and I sat patiently. I quickly ate them, walking to the door as soon as I was finished. I got in my car and made my way towards the hospital.

~

Harry's POV

 I was sitting next to Ashton's bedside, preparing to talk to him. I wanted to say some stuff to him, even if he couldn't hear me. I may never get the chance to talk to him again.

"Hey, Ash. I, uh...I really miss you. It'd be a great time to wake up. Like, really great. Ha, uh, well, I guess there's just some stuff I want to say to you while I have the chance. The doctors don't know anything. Or they do and they're not telling us, but that'd be a little cruel and unfair. Anyway, I just wanted to say you're the bestest friend I've ever had. I'm just so sorry for not noticing sooner. I-I could've helped you if I just would've opened my goddamn eyes. I was blind. I was just blind to all the pain you were in.

"What's that quote? Uh, oh! 'Pain demands to be felt.'  But, that's the thing. It does. But other people's pain doesn't always demand you to feel it. Not unless it's acted upon. Like you. This happened, and now I feel the pain you were in. It just, well, it just demanded me to feel it. I don't know? Did that even make sense? I'm just speaking my mind here, Ash. Feel free to interrupt me at any point.

"I don't think you will right now, huh? Oh, well. I'll keep being boring and poetic. Keeps me entertained. There's actually one thing that's been on my mind. It's the fact that, like, you're so close, but so far away. You're a million miles away, stuck in some world you can't escape. How does it feel? It sucks ass for me. Just knowing, like right now, I could talk to you and you wouldn't hear a word. You're lost somewhere. Somewhere only you know.

"I don't know. Just forget everything I said." I sighed, finally ending what I had to say. I'm getting all logical and poetic to someone that can't even hear me. Great.

"I wouldn't want to forget that." A voice said from behind me. I turned around to see Luke standing in the doorway. 

"Why?" I asked, my voice shaky. Most of the time people are confused about what I say. 

"Because it was the truth." He answered. 

"Oh." 

"Yeah. Mind if I stay?" He asked.

"Come on in. Join the waiting club." I said, smiling slightly.

"Yeah. It's good someone else is in here when I am. It gets kind of lonely when the only other person in here is beside me, yet not beside me." He said. Wow. Apparently I'm not the only poetic little shit.

"Yeah. I guess that's why they say two is better than one, huh?" I said. 

"I guess so. Three is better than two, though." 

"Definitely. I just really hope he's okay." I said. Doesn't everyone, though?

"I just really need him." Luke said, looking over Ashton. He acted as if Ashton was glass. He was very gentle with him, as if he were so fragile and one wrong move he'll break. He wouldn't hold Ashton's hand too tight. He wouldn't sit too close to Ashton, but he wouldn't sit too far away.

"It's true, isn't it?" I asked. He probably wouldn't know. I can just tell these sort of things. I'm Harry fucking Styles. I'm just cool like that.

"What?"

"That you can't live without him?" 

"Yes." He answered almost immediately.

"Oh." I said.

"Okay." He said. That's a little abnormal. He actually says that word quite frequently.

"I'm gonna get going, mate." I said, standing up and stretching.

"Okay." He said, not taking his eyes away from Ashton.

"Take care." I said, walking out the door.

~

Luke's POV

I was sobbing.

"Please. Please, Ashton, I'm begging you. Just wake up. It is true. I n-need you. A l-lot." I said, wiping my eyes. I couldn't stand it anymore. I need him. 

I carefully got in the hospital bed with him, laying on my side. I put my head on his arm, lightly gripping his wrist. I sobbed, laying in the bed next to him. I was soaking his arm and the sheets below me, but I couldn't find any fucks to give. I didn't even give a fuck if someone walked in here and I got in trouble. I just needed him. I didn't care about anything except him.

"I can't live without you, Ash."

~