Chapter 5

**WARNING: unedited. Proceed at your own risk**

Chapter 5

Alec didn’t know why he bolted out of Magnus’s place. He didn’t even know why they needed to stop that intimate moment they just shared. He didn’t even know why he wanted to.

Now that he finally had the answers he was looking for, Alec just felt hollow and empty. After two weeks of sulking, moping around, and staring at phone screens waiting for him to text or call for the very least, Alec finally knew the real reason behind their breakup: Magnus was afraid of getting too attached to him and be left alone when Alec dies because of his mortality.

Alec didn’t know how to feel about that.

Maybe the thought terrified him. He remembered back in the Seelie Court when the Seelie Queen turned him into an old man—he couldn’t look like that with Magnus. In fifty or sixty years, he could easily be mistaken as Magnus’s grandfather and the thought always upsets him.

But who cares what others think? True love isn’t based on appearances, age, sex, or any physical qualities at all. If their love is worth fighting for, so be it.

If they really loved each other, nothing could come between them.

A knock sounded on his door, and Alec let out a sigh.

The time for interrogations begins.

“Izzy, Jace, I’m not really in the mood right now,” he said. “Please come back in a year or two.”

A pause.

Then, “Actually, it’s me. Clary.”

Alec blinked in surprise. “Clary? Oh sure, come on in.”

[A/N: curiosity’s getting the best of me. Who ships Clalec here? No one? Coz that’s a really weird ship I mean, why would people even ship Clary and Alec?]

The door opened and Clary cautiously entered the room as if it was full of explosives, eyes roaming all around the well-kept place until her gaze landed on Alec.

She offered him a small smile. “How are you?”

“Pretty good,” replied Alec. “I’ve never got to thank you for last night. Letting me go just like that.”

“That’s not a big deal,” said Clary. “I guess it went good?”

Alec buried his face in his hands. “Yes, no. I don’t know. I got scared and chickened out.”

“What happened?” Clary said softly, sitting on the bed next to him. She touched his arm lightly. “I’m here to listen.”

Alec couldn’t help feeling a jolt of surprise.

At times like this it was usually his parabatai that he consoled in. But now, it was Jace’s girlfriend.

Then his eyes narrowed in suspicion. “They sent you here, didn’t they?”

Clary bit her lip. “Actually—”

Alec had already grabbed his stele and was in the process of drawing a reveal rune [A/N: totally made up] on his forearm. The room shimmered then the walls became totally visible, revealing Jace and Izzy just beside the wall behind Alec’s drawer, hunched over like two mice inspecting a piece of cheese. Isabelle had her hand pressed on the wall, using her other to hold Jace’s hand, obviously listening to Clary and Alec’s conversation. He could even hear them talking.