Escape

It took me a long time, but I'm finally at this point in my life. I was finally able to make it outside of the cold stone fortress. Guards were probably already searching left and right for me since I got out here. I don't necessarily blend in with a crowd so it's not like I can just walk away. After getting outside there was also no way I was going back in. The fortress stood tall on the side of a cliff. All that stood in between me and freedom was a long distance leading down into the river below. With nothing but a stolen bow and arrows, and the ragged clothing on my back, I silently gulped and let myself fall directly into the river. If I was lucky, I wouldn't survive, that way they wouldn't want me anymore. I didn't scream as I plummeted downwards, I don't know why, I just couldn't, I couldn't even speak.

I'm pretty sure the mistress of the fortress herself looked over the edge as I fell, probably cussing because she didn't have anything to slap around anymore, her thugs fearing the temper tantrum that would soon follow. They would surely get all of the blame for this.

I woke up on the muddy river bed coughing violently, puking up water, mud, and whatever I wish I had eaten for the past few months, or years for that matter. I was locked up in that dark place for most of my life. Sure, I was incapable of talking, but I wasn't stupid. It took me ages, but I managed to figure out why I needed to leave a long time ago. And I've known how to read because of a few other drow children taking pity on me and trying to teach me. The adults got on to them, but I already knew too much. Once I started finding my own reading material, I was able to learn on my own, and nothing could stop me from finally escaping.

For an eleven year old, it seemed impossible to learn so much so soon. But I wanted out, so I got out. Now that they think I'm dead, I can finally live a life that's free. My own life.

After coughing up all I could, I stumbled while standing up. I wasn't so queasy after getting it out of my system. After picking up my bow, I sighed, breathing my first breath of freedom.

For once I wasn't afraid of anything, for once I felt happy.