Chapter 9

We were finally one step closer to saving Shay. And for a rare moment, this thought overpowered my confusion with this whole situation. I couldn't wait to see what they were hiding. My own parent's secrets.

Muna's voice broke through my thoughts. " It's weird though, why would your parents' files be locked and the actual gang leaders?" August and Jake nodded,

" I've been wondering the same thing," Jake said eyes far off in thought.

"The only explanation I can think of is that my parents had more to hide." I smiled bitterly as I said this. More secrets than a gang leader.  

"Well let's  read this thing!" Muna cracked her knuckles and was about to look back at the finally opened and I gripped my armrest with anticipation but August pushed the computer away from her. "Hey!" She cried and Jake and my eyes widened in surprise.

" It's too late for this much excitement. We'll look at the files in the morning." August said definitively. He looked at all of us like he knew something we didn't and was daring us to respond.  

 The way he spoke left no room for discussion but I tried to squeeze in my response anyway. " I don't care how late it is, we're reading them tonight," I bit back standing up. I was surprised at my own tone but I felt like I had waited so long and that if I didn't know right now I never would find out.  

"Auralia, think about this logically," He clasped his hands together and looked me straight in the eyes," you're obviously tired and that'll influence your reaction when we read the files." He raised his voice and I could tell he was getting frustrated.

" Auralia calm down. But August we won't be able to sleep if we don't know." Jake put his hands up to try to calm us down as he voiced his opinion.

I rolled my eyes but sat back down while August looked at Jake then at Muna and finally at me as his determined eyes softened. He shook his head but pushed the computer back towards Muna, "Okay, okay fine." He drawled the fine and leaned back in his seat. 

I turned to the screen and positioned it so everyone could see it.  

Muna started reading aloud "'Jenica and Jesse Catius were the parents of Auralia and Daniel Catius. Jenica was the daughter of the famous roman Catius family while her husband has no known parents or siblings and no last name. The two were well-trusted members of the Purple Scars until the new leader, Kizuato, found that they were planning to expose the gangs secret. They have been drowned by their fellow members of the gang under the order of the head..."' 

I'm sure Muna kept reading but I stopped paying attention after that first paragraph. Killed. They were killed! They didn't leave me on purpose. I felt light like a feather-like I could just float away. But then I recalled what else she had said. My parents had been trusted members of the Purple Scars. And they hadn't stopped when my brother and I were born.  It was too much. I was happy but I was angry; clear but confused; and wide awake yet so tired. And then everything went black.