The Rise (1/4) - r

Shadow leaped backward, feeling numbness in his limbs

Shadow leaped backward, feeling numbness in his limbs. The fight was taking them too long, and the Black Masters were showing no signs of getting tired. The ebony hedgehog was sure they were unable to feel it anyway. They would continue to fulfill orders even if their limbs were broken.

With his back, he bumped into a column. In the next moment, it was shattered by big fist, showering the escaping agent with crushed stones. Another Black Arm attacked him from the side, so he crossed his arms, protecting himself from the worst. The punch sent him flying, rolling on the floor, ending on his stomach. He tried to get up, but his arms were pinned to the ground.

"Chaos control!" he shouted, warping only a few meters away. He used most of his reserves, so this was the best he could do. He touched his inhibitors rings on wrists. 'I can still use this!' He growled through showing teeth. He dived roll to temporal safety, escaping for a second before another punch crashed the floor.

His eyes glanced at Silver. The younger hedgehog was struggling to keep his defense up. His telekinesis could grab anything and anyone, but those guys were too strong, resisting his pull. Shadow allowed himself to be distracted for a split second, and that almost cost him a big headache, as a swift punch missed his cheek by millimeter. The wind pressure invaded his ear, making it ring.

He landed on his feet, reaching his hand to take one ring down. 'That's it! I have to at least allow Silver to escape!' The ebony hedgehog already lived his life. It wasn't always about his choices, and it was never a life he wished for. Yet, he was able to meet different people, becoming their friend, ally, or enemy, it actually didn't matter because the bond was made, defining his existence.

When his hand was merely a millimeter from the ring, his body was once more pinned to the ground, but this time a headbutt from behind was dealt on top of it. His arms were spread and tightly grabbed. In front of his eyes were stars, and his vision got blurry. He grimaced, wrinkling his face in a futile attempt to clear it.

"Shadow," enunciated Black Doom slowly, "I'm very impressed by your skills." In his voice was genuine appreciation. "You were always stubborn and strong. The image of a perfect soldier."

"Don't you say," the ebony hedgehog cynically replayed. Eventually, his vision got better, but the grip on his body was too strong.

Their conversation was observed by the young psychic; however, his hands were full, and his mind was occupied by thoughts directed toward his shield, as three Black Masters tried to crush it with heavy blows. His amber eyes frantically searched the room in a hope to see something useful.

'There has to be somethin—Ugh!' he shouted in his mind as the shield was hit especially hard, forcing him to fall on one knee. He could feel his arms were weakening. 'I need to find a way!' He gritted his teeth and tried to push the aliens away, but they were too heavy for him alone to thrust them back. His ear pricked, as he heard Black Doom speaking: