Chapter Twenty-Three

In the Arts and Crafts cabin, I'm glad that Brady isn't here since he finished his banner yesterday. It might have been kind of, a tiny bit, sort of awkward.

While I start cutting out the "EIGH" of Kayleigh, someone sits beside me. Maybe Brady came to add some finishing touches to his banner. Yikes.. please let it not be Brady.

I look at who's already watching me.

Phew, not Brady. But technically not any better of a sight...

"Mandee?" I ask, almost cutting my finger because of my lack of attention to what I'm doing.

I set down my scissors as she says, "Hi, Grace."

"Hey?"

"Look, I'm sorry for trying to steal Alex from you.. and I'm sorry for everything awful I've ever done for you. I feel completely terrible. You were really a great friend and person and it took me all summer to realize that. I'm sorry.. I am so sorry."

I watch as a tear drops down her cheek. She quickly wipes it away but it's replaced by another falling.

Wow.. she's genuinely sorry. Or she's even more evil than I thought and is trying to fool me. Yeah, the second option seems more like Mandee.

"How do I know you're being sincere?" I ask, raising an eyebrow.

"Grace, it's your choice to believe me or not, but I promise you that I'm being sincere. I do feel awful about this and I wanted to apologize because after this summer, we probably won't ever see each other again."

"Why not?"

"I'm not coming back next summer."

"Why not?" I repeat.

"I'm just not. I had no fun this summer."

"Oh. Sorry you didn't have fun."

"It's not your fault," she laughs.

I look around. I whisper, "If you're not going to be here next summer, you're not supposed to be in here."

"It's fine," she laughs again, "I'm allowed to since I don't want to come back next year. The seniors and Addie want to he here."

I nod and continue working on my banner.

"It looks really nice," she says, motioning to my banner.

"Oh thanks."

"It's very creative. She'll love it."

I look over at Mandee and smile. "Thanks. I hope she does."

"She will, trust me."

I look up at the clock and see that it's almost time for lunch.

"Well, Mandee, I have to go." I say, putting my tools away and grouping all of my work together.

"Oh yeah, I should get going to." She says, copying my motions and also glancing at the clock.

I start walking out and turn around.

"By the way, I forgive you." I say, not knowing whether to regret it or not.

Mandee smiles at me. I could be making a huge mistake and be being lied to straight to my face.. but I believe her.

As I leave Mandee calls out, "Grace!"

I turn around and say, "Yes?"

"Sorry about you and Brady's break-up."

Dang.. it's only been a day. "You heard?"

"Everyone's heard." She smiles sympathetically.

I nod and walk out.