Two.

<<<

"Eric Coulter!" Jeanine Matthews, Chicago's leader announced.

He stepped in front of the five bowls and got handed a knife that he immediately took and cut his hand without any further thought. He hesitated a split second when his hand hovered above a bowl that belonged to the faction he was born into, Erudite, but moved it quickly to another bowl right before a droplet of blood fell into it.

"Dauntless!" Jeanine exclaimed followed by cheers from the entire dauntless section. Every other faction just gave a rather held back or no applause at all, especially Erudite and Eric's parents. They just had a look of shock and disbelief written on their faces.

Vincesca sat there among the shocked faction and stared at Eric in amazement and adoration. She never thought that Eric, the one who grew up in a faction that he more than loved and respected, the one who loyally dedicated a big portion of his childhood to science and knowledge and the one who never disappointed his parents no matter what, would now leave and let everything behind. But then again, no one thought that he would leave Erudite for Dauntless because it really seemed like there was nothing better in his life than Erudite.

The young man visibly let out a breath of relief that he was holding for a very long time, turned towards the faction in black and smiled as he approached his new family that awaited him with open arms.

Right at that moment, Vincesca knew. Those thoughts that she wasted hours and hours on thinking, now disappeared in a blink of an eye. She now knew that, even though she did love her family and friends and enjoyed everything in her faction, in two years, she would take off the jacket in blue and put on a jacket in black instead.

Right now, it was as if she could feel Erics relief and excitement spreading in her own body. It felt like there was an invisible string that now pulled her towards the Dauntless and, surprisingly, she didn't feel any guilt or sadness towards her parents or anyone else. She longed to be dauntless and the next couple of years couldn't come quickly enough. Her eyes never left Eric even when he sat down on a seat among his new faction until Jeanine shouted a new name.

"Francesco Cultres!" it was her brothers turn now.

Her brother stood up hesitantly, made his way to the front and mimicked the actions of everyone before him. He took the knife but before he cut his palm, he looked back at his parents with guilt in his eyes. Then, he caught a glimpse of his sister who was smiling at him courageously and nodded reassuringly. To her, and to his parents as well even though they always refused to realize that, it was clear that he truly belonged to another faction. The way he lived and talked, the way he could hardly ever find interest in Erudites lifestyle. He just all gave it away ever since he was little.

Francesco, who would later choose the name Frank, looked back at the bowls in front of him and cut his palm. Everyone stared in silence that probably lasted only a couple of seconds but felt like minutes, until his blood fell onto the coals.

"Dauntless!" Jeanine announced again and Francesco was greeted with an even louder cheer from said faction but with the same open arms and pats on the back.

Vincesca expected her parents to be as disappointed as Eric's but she could never find anything like that in her parents faces. Instead they looked at each other with small smiles, barely noticeable, and took each others hands. She looked back at the Dauntless and saw her brother taking a seat next to Eric who gave him a brotherly hug.

The choosing ceremony went on but all Vinnie could do was stare at her brother and Eric, smiles and excitement still decorating their faces while the Dauntless members around them kept congratulating them silently.