hanahaki - part two.

i start wheezing for air as i sit up on my bed. there's something clogging my throat. i rush to my bathroom and grab my blue toothbrush. i shove the end down my throat and choke a bit.

i manage to get the problem out. it appears to be flower petals? weird- i don't remember eating a garden in the recent past.

i decide to ask pidge about it, walking outside and finding her room. "pidge?" she turns around to look at me. "hey. i was wondering if you could help me. i had some flower petals stuck in my throat that i had to, like, throw up. any idea what that's about? some cool space virus or something?"

pidge pondered her thoughts for a second, then turned back to her computer. she typed something in, that was too fast for me to read, and pulled up a medical page. it was titled "the hanahaki disease."

"the hanahaki disease is naturally caught and can not be avoided after the fact. Researchers only know three things about it so far. The disease is caused by a love one sided, there is no cure besides human surgery removing the source, and if not treated, will lead to death."
pidge looked at me. "this is the only petal related sickness known to man. it's a safe bet to say it's this. so, who is it that you love?"

"that's easy. allura is pretty cute and i-"

"no. who do you love? i know
it isn't allura. she's just pretty to you. i can tell what love is, and it wasn't that."

"u-uh, i don't know then. it might be keith?"
lance realized what he had just said out loud.
"shit, don't tell anyone. if keith knew, death would be a healthier alternative than what he would do. this stupid disease, or whatever it is, stays between us. okay? he can't know. and if you tell one person, they all know." i told pidge.

"i understand that, but this is a life threatening disease. i cannot just pretend that nothing's wrong. you drive the blue lion- we need you."

i pause.

"you have allura. i'm not needed. keep this between us." i walked out of her room, feeling the taste of dying flowers in my throat.