Reaping Day (1)

"On the seventy-fifth anniversary, as a reminder to the rebels that young children suffered because of the rebellion, every district will send one male tribute and one female tribute between the ages of 5 and 11." 

"Mama, what does he mean?", Clementine asked her mother. 

"Clem, darling, don't worry about it, it's fine." Her mother replied with a tint of worry in her voice.

"But Mama-"

"Don't worry darling, Mama knows best."

"What's going on?"

"Not now honey-"

"But Mama-"

"Go and get ready! Now!"

Clementine didn't understand. She was six years old. Surely she was old enough for her mama to tell her what was wrong!

Her big sissy Rue had been 'reaped'. Clementine had watched Rue and another girl about the same age named Prim on the small television in their house.

They had both died.

"Clemmie! What are you waiting for? Go get ready!" Clem heard her mother's voice from the other side of the house.

She didn't understand why her mother wanted her to look her best, though. Surely she was to get reaped once she was twelve?

Clem heard her two older twin sisters, Harvest and Haven, and her older brother, Rye, comforting their younger sister, Maizie. Maizie was three years old and knew about the reaping, but didn't understand why there was a possibility of her older siblings being reaped, seeing as the twins were nine and Rye was eight.

To be honest, Clem didn't really understand it herself; the Capitol were strange people anyway.

All 6 of them went out of the house and started walking towards the Town Square. Clem shuddered. This was where she had lost her older sister.

She tuned out for most of Betty Sparkleshine's speech, so didn't understand why everyone was staring at her when she heard:
"-ok!"

She turned from side to side to see her mother and siblings crying.

The pieces still didn't come together until she heard a high-pitched, "Clementine Marrok, where are you?"

It finally made sense.

She had been reaped for the 75th Hunger Games.