Star-Crossed Lovers ... Or Not? (3)

Marcellina felt proud.

She had been reaped for a Hunger Games - what an honour! Not only that, but it was a Quarter Quell. If she won - correction - when she won, she would receive the highest amount of glory for the brilliant thing she had done. And to make things even better, all her competitors were children, well, she was a child too of course, but 7 is just a number. After all, when she won she would be celebrated in the Capitol as the youngest ever victor.

The easiest ones to pick off were the 5 and 6 year olds. Though it did seem a bit heartless and cruel to be slaughtering some little kids, it would mean she was one step closer to victory. She did have to be careful about which ones she killed though. If she killed one of the adorable ones, the Capitol audience might not like her, and that was why she wanted to make her district partner, Maximus, do it first.

She hated Max with each and every bone in her body.

Why?

Because of that fateful day in school.

It was the first day of school, and I was 6 years old. It was assembly and the teachers asked everyone if they had any questions. One boy's hand shot straight up in the air. I recognised him as Maximus Ramirus, the mayor's son. He asked if he could stand up and the the teacher, albeit a little confused, said yes.

Maximus stood up and got onto the stage. He started reciting some poem about his crush, describing her chocolate brown eyes, her fuzzy black hair, her golden brown skin. I did not like where this was going.

He then got down on one knee, and proclaimed for the entire school to hear:
"Marcellina Cassia, I have had a huge crush on you from the moment I first saw you in kindergarten. I have wanted to ask you this for so long.
"Marcie, will you go out with me?"

From that moment on, I hated Max for publicly embarrassing me. From that day, people started teasing me about when I would go out with him, even when we were 6.

When I was reaped I felt so glad, now he could do nothing. What I didn't expect was for Trilia Stell to pick out his name as well. Of course nobody volunteered, they thought we would be the next star-crossed lovers.

Since they had gotten on the train, Max had been trying to 'chat up' (as Trilia called it) Marcellina

She dreaded what he would do at the interviews, though. She didn't want to be targeted by District 1 because of the whole 'star-crossed lovers' thing as well as being younger than them, and so, weaker.

Marcellina knew she would just have to get Max on the Capitol's bad side by killing all the little kids.

"Max! I need you to do me a favour!"