Chapter 47: Showdown with the Queen

I took the first step, then the next

I took the first step, then the next. I clenched my jaw and began my ascent to the Altar. This was it. This is where everything begins. First Lusamine, then the Shadow, Tapus, and gods of Old.

Each step I took, I felt the years in the stones speak to me. The building of the stairs and Altar, Draconids coming to preform ancient rituals, and a vast population racing up these steps for safety.

I crossed the final step and stood before the Altar of the Sunne and Moone. A huge circle of stone engraved in the mountain, the symbol of the Sun and Moon merged into one in its center. A stone platform was in front of me, the same symbol upon it as well. A pond sat at the base of the Altar and on each side there were two more stone platforms. Both extending into the pond, the one on the right beared the symbol of the Moon and the one on the left the Sun.

As night fell upon the Altar, Alex came to stand on my left and Robert my right.

"Where's Hapu?" I asked, breaking the silence of the night.

"She said it's probably best if she waits below," Robert answered.

I looked to Alex. "You ready?"

She held up the Sun Flute. "As ready as I'll ever be. Let's do this."

She slung her backpack off her and grabbed Nebby.

She handed her to Robert. "Hold her will you."

Robert nodded. "It would be my pleasure."

He took Nebby and Alex made her way over to the platform on the left.

"Do you know what's going to happen?" Robert asked me.

I shook my head. "Not really. Though all I'm hoping for is for one of the legendaries to show up."

Robert nodded. "Then you'd better get to it then."

I made my way over to the right platform and stood on the symbol of the Moon. Nodding at Alex, I brought the Moon Flute up to my lips. I blew a note, a crystal clear sound that soothed my soul. Then Alex played a similar note and we began a breathtaking song. A song we neither heard before nor planned. A song of the Sun. A song of the Moon. A song of great things to come. A song of hope.

Water streamed up the Altar and around the circle. The circle separated into four pieces as they opened, revealing a pure, undescribable light. It fired a beam towards the platform and Alex and I stopped playing. We saw Robert dive off the platform as the light struck it, creating a dome of energy. And Nebby was floating in the middle of it.

"Nebby!" Alex cried.

Robert hurried backwards as Nebby began to glow. She began sucking in all the light as she grew bigger. Her golden body enlarged to form the outline of giant wings, a tail and a crescent shaped head. The glow and light died and Nebby floated above the ground.