Chapter 21

Sariff's POV:

I knew that the Enchanter would appear any moment now, my fate having been sealed with Daniel's lingering absence. I had already shed tears for my staff who were now no more than simply furnishings or household objects. Jacque hissed at me and ran from me earlier this evening and my fears of him becoming a true cat were realized even further.

I had shut myself in my room to await the Enchanter's expected appearance, but then I saw the sun beginning to set and realized he was running late. It does not matter much as my fate is sealed either way whether he appeared to inform me of that or not. I decide to wait for him on the roof instead of in my room as I want to look at the stars one last time before the curse becomes permanent.

I climbed out onto the balcony and laid down on the snow-covered roof, feeling the snow chill my body almost instantly. I knew that now I had accepted death as my fate but I felt no fear, only a sense of longing to see Daniel one last time. I saw the stars begin to light up the nighttime sky and I sense myself fading out of consciousness as I wonder why the Enchanter is so incredibly late.

Daniel's POV:

After a hard day's ride, I finally saw Tom the gate and called out ahead to him but he didn't respond as Dutch and I rode closer. I pulled Dutch to a halt as we stood just by the gate and asked Tom to let me in again but he remained silent, instead he slowly swung open just enough for me and Dutch to pass through. I thought nothing of it at the moment though, as I rode Dutch towards the stable, quickly leaving him for Joseph and Samson to take care of before I made my way into the castle as quickly as I could.

"Sariff! June! Jacque! I'm back!" (Dan)

I waited for a response from anyone but heard nothing but the eerie sounding wind rush in behind me through the opened doors. I close the doors behind me before I started walking towards the library, wondering where everyone was until I saw Jacque sitting just outside the library doors.

"Ah Jacque my friend, there you are. Where is everyone? Is Sariff in the library?" (Dan)

"Meow." (Jac)

I froze for a moment as the cat looked at me before turning around and running off. It was then that fear of what had happened in my absence took hold. I sprinted into the library to search for Sariff but only found a book on the couch we so often shared. I was about to leave the room and continue to search or when the top part of a piece of paper sticking out of the book stopped me in my tracks.

I walked over and saw that the book was Romeo and Juliet, one of the stories that Sariff and I read together. I pulled out the paper and saw that it was a letter addressed to me from Sariff, much like the one I left for her before I so foolishly left.

"My dearest Daniel,
        I hope you have forgiven me of my lie as I never truly wanted to lie to you to begin with. I am sorry that I could not tell you more about my curse or the effect it had on everyone living in the castle. Even now I am unable to tell you how I could have broken it, it's part of the curse you see. I am sorry I could not break it for I would have loved to travel the world with you, or even just stay here with you for the rest of my days.
       You are the kindest, most beautiful man I have ever met, which is why upon my death my entire estate will be given to you. I have only two conditions that I would ask of you. Please care for Jacque for as long as he may live, for now he is cursed to remain a cat. He is my oldest friend and did not deserve this curse, none of the others did, it should have only been me that was cursed. The second thing I would ask of you is to find that someone that you love and you want to spend the rest of your life with. 
       I will not lie when I say I found that person in you, I only wish I could have been the right choice for you as well. I love you Daniel which is why with my death I am giving you the chance to do whatever you may wish to do with my fortune, now yours. Thank you for everything you did while you were here. I love you with my heart and soul but now it is farewell for my curse is ending this Friday evening one way or another. Forgive me for that and live well my love.
       Yours forever,
                      Sariff"