Chapter 9

I sat in the backseat much to my displeasure as Owen began speeding off to the Valley. Claire called her nephew over and over when suddenly a dark feeling arose over me. "Claire." I murmured sitting up and Owen raised an eyebrow at me. "Claire!" I snarled and she glanced at me with a face that screamed anger.

"What?!"

I tried to ignore the sudden burst of anger at being spoken to so disrespectfully and spoke. "Hel is going out to kill anyone or anything that moves. Having a phone buzz when you're trying to hide and not get seen or caught is kinda sorta really inconveniencing." and Claire paled staring at the phone before hanging up quickly.

"Phil! Apologize to the woman." Owen spoke gruffly sounding so much like dad that I scowled and spat out my apology like a spoiled child. Then I heard it... and again I was reminded of Dad. Owen's eyes glazed over. "You two stay in the car." He commanded hopping out.

I waited for the door to shut before unbuckling my seatbelt. "What are you doing?" Claire asked me whirling around to look at me and I blinked twice. "He said to stay in the car." Okay this was a total Mom moment. If we didn't have Hel on the loose possibly about to eat people I would have laughed.

"Do I look like I listen Mom." I teased hopping out ignoring her sound of protest and jogged to catch up with my brother while Claire followed me. Surprisingly well in the grass for wearing heels. As someone who can wobble in stilettos I greatly respected her decision to keep them on. However as I walked out I only wished that I had listened to Owen. My bottom lip trembled as I examined the Apatosaurus slashed body.

I was a vet. I could fix this. I ran back to the car and looked frantically through the car. I was looking for something! Anything! She- she was dying and I- I was hired specifically so that if something were to happen to these creatures I could help. I had tears pricking at the corner of my eyes as I slammed the car in frustration. "Ophelia." Owen's voice called me over and then I felt soft hands grab me.

Claire guided me to the Apatosaurus head and I stared at her.

"Soft heart. I don't think my sister's ever met an animal she hasn't fixed." Owen announced as I coddled the baby cheetah in the zoo. "She's got a gift to be with anything out of the homosapien spectrum."

"Phil... come here." Owen soothed and I shook my head. I couldn't... I couldn't fix her and this... she was supposed to live out for another twelve years at minimum. A whimper left my lips and the Apatosaurus lifted her head towards me startling Claire and Owen's eyes filled with panic. Owen tried to get her to lay down but the dinosaur lifted her head letting loose a cry her gray blue eyes looking at me and before I knew what I was doing I fell to my knees cradling her head.

A tear fell from my eye and I could see Claire's eyes welling up as well. "Shh. I'm here. Baby it's okay." I whispered cradling the head with a soft smile. Our eyes locked and I pushed her down gently. "It's okay. You're just gonna- take a nap." I murmured looking at her with a soft touch. Claire, Owen and I watched with bated breaths as she took her last. I remained with the gentle giant as Owen and Claire got up mumbling a small plea for her afterlife to be great before getting up.

 I remained with the gentle giant as Owen and Claire got up mumbling a small plea for her afterlife to be great before getting up

I heard Owen speak before I crossed the hill. "She's not eating them. She's killing for sport!" There were the gentle giants all with slashes and blood dripping. Dead. I released a sound of agony as I looked at what Hel had done. Now forever condemning her actions and removing any idea I had of her possible retribution.

She killed for sport.  Something I had only witnessed one animal do. An animal that I despised and could only tolerate a few of. She was no better than a human and therefore, as much as it pained me. I needed to do what was safe for the populace as she truly was a monster.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Owen, we got a situation here." My brother's walkie talkie goes off and I snatch it recognizing Barry's voice. "Owen do you copy?"

"You're speaking to Phil on the Walk. Tell me how's it going hot chocolate?" I spoke and heard Barry's chuckle and Owen made a move to reach out to take the walkie talkie away from me and I let out a sound of protest against him before letting out a screech "OWEN THE TREE!"

"What tree? We're in the middle of a field." Owen looked back at the road briefly before realizing that indeed we were in the middle of the field and he had the car aiming for the only tree in the entire field! Owen and I let out a slight shriek of terror and Claire reached over to steer the car in it's proper road and my brother and I released a breath of relief.  "Barry, what's up? Barry?" There was the sound of another crash and Barry's voice was only then made out to be fuzzy static.

"Great Owen. Now we'll never know the situation."  I drawled in annoyance and Owen let out his snort.

"I'm pretty sure it just has to deal with the Indominus Rex here." He spoke and again I got a sinking feeling that it was actually something much worse. And I was willing to bet this problem didn't have sharp teeth.