Chapter 11 - The Queen's Counsel

OoOoO

All roads eventually led back to the council. At least, that was how the state of things felt to Aragorn at this point in his life. There had been a time when once he had kept only the council of a few trusted companions, making decisions on the turn of a moment. Now it seemed his every move must be debated on, deliberated over and given an official seal of approval. Briefly Aragorn wondered what would happen if he were to simply saddle Brego and ride for Harad with the dawning.

Far be it from him to rob the Great Council of Gondor of its fun though. Trying not to rub the growing tension between his brows, the king repeated himself for the third time in the past half hour.

"I understand your hesitance to trust the integrity of the Haradrim, Lord Duinhir, truly I do. The fact remains that I personally accepted the chieftains' invitation to visit their settlement in Harmindon. Regardless of whether any choose to accompany me, I at least must make the journey south."

The lord of Blackroot Vale huffed before taking his seat at the council table. Tensions were running high in the Dome of the Sun. The wounds of the War of the Ring may have healed in the four decades since the fall of Sauron, but that did not mean scars did not linger. So many in Gondor had lost kin and kindred spirits to the Haradrim and their war beasts. Aragorn had known that this step forward would not come easily. Still, the council was proving remarkably reluctant to approve a diplomatic mission into Harad. That was to say nothing of the demands the chieftains had made in their terms for peace. South Gondor, once known as Harondor, was an enormous territory, not so easily signed over to the Haradrim on a hope.

"Lord Aragorn, your desire to bury the enmity between west and east is admirable to be sure." Queen Lothíriel was speaking. "But at what cost? Surely the people of Ithilien do not wish to live a mere crossing away from our ancestral enemies, to say nothing of allowing the Haradrim to pass freely through Lebennin and Dol Amroth. What if they were to betray the peace? Dol Amroth and the port at Pelargir would be under attack before Minas Tirith could possibly mount a resistance."

Seated next to his wife, Éomer nodded in solid agreement. The king and queen of Rohan's sentiments appeared to be well supported by many, if the murmur of approval was any indication.

The soft voice of Legolas somehow managed to cut across the dozens of murmuring mortals in the hall. The elf had been quietly listening to the council debate for some time, and Aragorn was relieved to hear his dear friend finally speak.

"Your consideration is appreciated, Lady Lothíriel. However, I daresay as the representative of Ithilien, it is the Lady Éowyn's opinion on the subject that ought to be marked."

"As should yours, Prince Legolas." Éowyn replied with a wry smile in Legolas's direction. "Your colony of elves is as much a part of Ithilien now as we are." When Legolas demurred, she continued. "I think I speak for both my husband and myself when I say that we do not fear the Haradrim. Harondor, as Chief Tufayl pointed out, did at one time belong to Harad, and our two nations managed to share borders without destroying one another. I am sure that we are more than capable of doing so again, and this time as allies. It would be a transition, to be sure, but we can see to the people of Ithilien well enough."

"My people have no quarrel with the Haradrim, beyond their involvement in the War of the Ring." Legolas said. Then with a quick, daring smile he added "We are already surrounded by mortals to the east, west and north. What could one more neighbor to the south hurt?"

A handful of lords and ladies grumbled indignantly at the elf in their midst comparing Gondorians to Haradrim. Aragorn saw Gimli smothering an amused chortle in his beard.