The Window

This was an assignment for a writing class of mine. I figured since Wattpad has word count is could use it and just put it in here. The topic was to write something with the title The Window.
🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷
The monitor beeps next to me. Medicine drips from the I-V into my hand. I can barely breathe. It doesn't take the best doctor in the world to know that I am dying.

I lift my arm up and grab the kaleidoscope on the table next to me. Looking at a kaleidoscope has always been calming for me. All I have to do is look at a few colors and suddenly I'm reliving a memory, good or bad. It is like a window to my past in a way.

I look through the glass window. I see pink, canyon orange, cactus green and red. The first National Park I've ever visited:The Grand Canyon, located in Arizona. My family and I rented Pink jeeps and rode around. I got to see the cactuses withering away from the red hot sun as it beat down on my shoulders.

The slideshow continues in turquise blue, green, white, pink and gold. The time my family went to the Bahamas. I sat atop the jewel-embedded throne of King Triton at Atlantis. We got to swim with a dolphin named Hercules. In the end he put on a show, dancing atop water and bringing a smile to my seven-year-old face.

I turn the kelidoscope once more and am met with red orange and a smokey grey. The time our house caught on fire and my parents burned alive. That was when I was 10. Nightmares would terrify me for years afterwards. The shriek of the sirens is enough to scar people for life.

Subconsciously my hands work to open a new window of grey, white, yellow and blue. A bright sunny day with dandelions growing on the side of the road. I was returning from New York City with my orphanage. We were in different cars. Ours was grey. We got hit with a white one from behind because traffic was stopped because a car was on fire. Thankfully we were able to get away, unharmed.

I move on to another window. I see blue, green, and white with an undertone of brown. The Grand Tetons in Wyoming. I see the infamous snow-capped mountains. Blurs of brown move through the tall grass. A buffalo, a fox, and prairie dogs.

The image flickers and I am met with a rainbow of colors shining in a bright aura. Blue, yellow, white, grey, purple and orange. All these describe Yellowstone National Park. I see the clear, beautiful, toxic pools holding different colors. Some are blue and yellow while others are a firery orange. Almost all pools have a grey-white smoke billowing from them. It reminds me that the supervolcano that lies beneath my purple sneakers could erupt at any minute.

I then see green, purple, red and grey. A tombstone with my name on it enters the window. It is surrounded by fresh grass with red and purple tulips. The sight is weirdly calming as the window fades to black.