Chapter 45

Hermione sighed heavily shifting on the bed. They had all agreed to take a small nap before getting ready to leave. They were to meet Aberforth at the inn sometime between 8 and 9 before making their way to the school at 10. The potions she had taken were starting to lose their effect but she didn't want to take any more until just about the time they were to leave as she may not have the opportunity to take more once they were at Hogwarts.

Hermione rolled over with a heavy sigh trying to get comfortable. She just couldn't rest knowing what was to come. Her eyes rose up to the field kit and her mind wandered to its owner. She'd never believed she would have ever missed the sour man's presence. The mystery of the unknown was weighing heavily on her heart. Would she have to fight him? Would he survive? What if he called her to him some way with their current slave bond? Would she have to protect him? Would that even be possible?

All those questions and more swirled through her mind making it impossible to rest. She shifted onto her stomach with a small wince and pulled the bag from the night table. The leather was soft and worn down with time. Had he carried he always carried it with him? She pulled it to her chest, rolling onto her side to open it. She could smell him. It was odd, but it brought her comfort. She turned a few of the vials in their catch before she noticed a small pocket at the very end. She hadn't noticed it before but now she was curious. She pressed along the outside before flipping the small snap. Her eyes grew wider when she saw what was inside.

It was the stone they'd made. Or one of them. She hadn't known what had happened to it. Too delirious in her drugged state to have even noticed him giving it to her. She slipped the small stone from inside the pouch and ran her fingers over the meticulous engravings. Was it the real one? Did he have the other one? If so, was he wearing it or had he done something else with it?

Her hand closed over the stone and she pressed it against her lips, he'd made the switch; she could feel the power inside it. That meant that her work was not in vain. That Voldemort didn't have the real set. That if he were to put it on, or even have it on his person, he'd be protected for an hour—and she—had the other. The idea that she was somewhat invulnerable to death made her chest feel a bit lighter. She wasn't invincible no, but she could sustain quite a bit more damage than the average wizard. That in combination with the battlefield kit, she was almost certain she could survive anything but the killing curse.

She slowly pulled the flap on the bag closed and brought it under her chin, holding it like a child with a teddy bear. She held the stone tightly over her heart and pressed the side of her nose into the soft leather. Her eyes closed to the smell of him, and she felt the fear that had been growing inside her starting to come down. She could this, it was just one more day. She'd survived this long. She could enter the snake's den one last time.

oOOo

"Hermione?" Harry kept his voice soft and his stance low, he didn't want to startle her awake like Ron had last time. He shifted on the balls of his feet trying to see her face, but she had the bag tucked up too close for him to see clearly.

"Careful, Harry..." Ron knew he had no room to talk but he didn't want a repeat of last time either. He kept himself a few feet back, after all, she was armed now.

"Hermione?" Harry tried a little louder his index finger lightly tapping the hand in front of him. The light touch of his finger worked. She jumped awake with wide eyes and a sharp breath. He leaned back just a bit so she could see him better, "Hey... It's just Harry... it's alright..."