nine/Buffy

They knew.

They knew how I felt and I felt amazed and horrified.

They didn't push me away and and call me a freak like the others.

They cared about how I felt.

It was a week after I became friends with Cyrus, Jonah, TJ, and Andi. For the first time in a while, I felt a small surge of happiness. As I got ready for school that morning, I put on a black sweatshirt, baggy jeans and a beanie to tuck my hair into.

I walked downstairs. My mom stood in the kitchen and ruffled my hair. "How is my favorite girl?" She said and I cringed. She smiled, totally oblivious to my 'issue'. After another awkward breakfast, I biked to school and met up with Jonah.

Because we were so early, we sat outside of the school. Jonah seemed more on edge than usual. "You okay, Jonah?" I asked. He gulped and said, "Can I ask you something, Buffy?" I nodded and he said, "How did you know you were...a boy?"

I told them about how I always felt different and felt more connected to being a boy than being a girl. He made a small smile. "Buffy..." He said quietly.

"Yes?" I said.

"I don't think I'm a boy."

I smiled along with them. "But I'm not a boy either," they said.

"You do know you can be neither a boy or girl."

"What's that called?"

"Non-binary."

"That's...that's me," they said.