Chapter 2: Doctor

Camila POV

The rest of my week went very fast for me. During weekdays, my auntie would take me to local shopping centres to go have coffee. I honestly missed the usual Aussie spots I used to go to - Nando's, Macca's, KFC and Max Brenner's. It feels nostalgic to be able to eat at these places again. While during the weekend, her husband isn't working and my cousins aren't at school so we just drive around Melbourne.

Before I knew it, I'm already starting my first day at work.

"Everyone calls me Ms. Amy here so you'll be the odd one out if you call me Ms. Pittari!" she announced.

I smiled shyly and nodded at her request.

"Okay then, Ms. Amy." I said simply.

It's quite early in the morning and the clinic hasn't opened yet. I thought that the clinic was already pretty big just at its front view but it's way even bigger when she toured me into different doctors' and medical rooms. It also has its own pharmaceutical store where Ms. Amy usually stays in. There's even a small garden and another large parking space at the back of the clinic that are only meant for employees.

Speaking of which, there's also this large meeting room that has a door directly to the front desk where all staff in the clinic chill together, despite of their positions. In that room, there's this large dining table full of healthy snacks. There's also a fridge, microwave, toaster and so on. There's even lockers here! Damn, this clinic is really high-class. I could only imagine how much Ms. Amy makes from this.

"Here's coffee. Velle will be here any minute and I already told her beforehand to guide you with your job. Just find me at the pharmacy, yeah?" Ms. Amy sweetly said.

I drank my coffee while reading a task sheet given to me when Ms. Amy left me alone in the meeting room. I have to do a lot of paperworks, check financial statements, act as a receptionist and be an occasional assistant to practically anyone here. Doing all that while juggling full-time studies... how did my mother survive this shit?

Up until now, I have never realised how strong she was for not being able to show that she's tired at all, continuously studying heavy courses and doing a heavy job as well. I can probably never be as strong-willed as her but I can only try since I swore not to have my fate end like hers.

"Good morning. You're Camila, right?" the receptionist who chatted with my auntie the other day, Velle, came in the meeting room.

This is the first time I've actually heard her speak in full English and she bears a thick Filipino accent. Maybe just like what my auntie said, she is one of the nurses that Ms. Amy helped to migrate here in Australia. I nodded at her and sipped a bit more of my coffee.

"Yep. I'm Camila Cruz. I just came back from the Philippines." I reciprocated her smile.

I saw her eyes widen in surprise as she sat next to me and got some snacks for the both of us.

"Oh. But you were raised here, diba? You sound so much like Ms. Amy's kids. I've lived here for quite a while but I'm still coping up. Australians talk too fast and their accents make them a little bit to understand sometimes, geez." she mused as she ate salted crackers.

Well, since I was raised here, I do not have the same problem like Velle has. I don't even notice what she says because I'm just so used to it. I chuckled at her musings.

"Anyways, the clinic will open in about an hour so more staff will come in. They're aware that there's a new staff but I'll introduce you to them, still." she continued.

After chatting for a few more minutes, we proceeded to set up the front desk. Just like what I've expected, most staff were Filipinos. There was only two non-Filipino staff and it was this Chinese doctor and an Australian nurse. I haven't met all the staff, particularly, the doctors because they were busy but I have familiarised myself with the ones who checked in.