Chapter 4: Bestfriend

Camila POV

Days went faster than I expected. I kept my self busy all the time so I didn't even realise that I'll start my first sem for university soon. At work, I'm present during opening hours and closing hours. During weekends, I usually just help Tita Shaina cook or help my cousins with their assessment tasks.

I like how I'm keeping myself busy, actually. At least, it's like I'm escaping the reality that I'm already an orphan and working madly just to be able to have a good future.

I feel guilty for only working part-time soon in the clinic because I would have to study full-time in university to be able to finish within three years. So right now, I'm spending my remaining days going way earlier than the opening hours. Since I've got everything sorted out with the paperworks so far, I'm just watering and tending the garden at the back of the clinic a little bit. With how busy everyone here is, it's only understandable that they probably do not have time to do little things like this.

"Sipag mo, ah." someone said in an obvious conyo accent. The accent that people who are not that used to speaking in Tagalog have.

I got surprised from the sudden greeting, especially since it is in Tagalog so I almost threw the water can I had in my hand before I turned around to see who greeted me.

"Oh, Dr. Pittari! You know how to speak Tagalog?" I asked, amused at his sudden greeting.

He shrugged, playfully nodding. It's only when he makes different expressions aside from his usual stern face that makes him not look angry.

"I did take Filo lessons before. Plus, Velle has been teaching me as well. She's good." he answered.

Hmm. I have no doubts about that. Velle is obviously good in Tagalog and it's very evident in her thick accent when she speaks in English. She's only around the same age as Dr. Pittari as well so there's no doubt that they're close. All the other doctors and nurses in this clinic are in their 30's or 40's already.

I know Tagalog and have always understood it since my parents and relatives would talk to me sometimes in it. It has been enhanced due to watching TFC shows and of course, by staying exactly at the Philippines. However, I am more comfortable in speaking in English because I could just express myself more in it. When there's a need though, I speak Tagalog.

I don't think language should be a measure of how 'Filipino' someone is, anyway. Being fluent in English and speaking in it everyday does not make me any less of being a Filipino. I don't care about anyone thinks anymore, especially when I've seen first-hand how Filipinos living in the Philippines still have what most would call a 'crab mentality'.

"I see... nice." I answered and stared at him, waiting for him to walk off or something. I want to turn back at him and just continue watering the plans but I can't because that is just too disrepectful. He is the owner's son, after all.

"Hey, pero why are you so early? Opening is in 2 hours pa. I just happened to pass by because I have to set up something in advance." he curiously asked.

"I'll start uni soon so I really want to help out more before I only get to do part-time work." I said wearily.

He scoffed at me.

"Sipag! I never got to ask you, but what uni do you go to?" he asked again, seemingly wanting to make our conversation longer.