Chapter 5: University

Camila POV

So far, I still got myself together. It's really different when you're just talking about it instead of actually doing it. Juggling studies with work is truly hard. I have to make notes and do readings but I also have to work as well. There really is no time for rest, whining or mental breakdowns.

Now that I'm actually doing it, I have appreciated more how my parents have done this before. It's draining in all aspects but my mum still kept on doing it for a decade just for us to be able to stay here in this privileged country. I remember how I refused to make simple things for her like a powerpoint presentation or just simply saving files from her student portal because she's having difficulties with our technology... instead of doing that for her, I just go out of the house and party. I have always ignored and refused to see all her efforts.

I sighed as I walked down the cold streets of Melbourne. It's the first week in July and with just the way everyone's dressed up with their heavy coats and jackets, it is the peak of winter already. When I sigh, there's this cold, evident smoke that comes out of my mouth.

"Oi!" someone shouted somewhere in my back. I continued walking though since I think it is not for me, anyway.

"Oi, Mila!" another loud shout again. This time, since my name was mentioned, I couldn't help but look at the back.

In some corner, Andre was with other bunch of guys. They were all smoking. At one glance, just with the brand of the shoes and shirts they're wearing, you could tell that they are richer than most people here in Melbourne.

Andre gave one last blow on his cigar before throwing it away and let out the smoke as he walked towards me.

I crossed my shoulders and raised my eyebrow at him, not knowing what he wants.

"Come here, meet some of my mates." he said bluntly, dragging my arm with him and forcing me to walk towards the corner where he was earlier.

I kept on protesting at him but his strength was too much for me to fight off. I glared at him when we reached that corner. I didn't even bother to look at his friends who are now curiously staring at me.

"Hey, by any chance, did you go to Killara Grammar School before?" one of them asked.

I paused a bit before answering him.

"Yeah. Why?" I answered mindlessly.

Since Year 7 until Year 9, I went to that school. I actually thought I'd stay there until Year 10 and eventually go to another branch of it for senior high school, Killara Heights Grammar School. But since life fucked me up, all those plans were trashed a long time ago.

It amazes me how people could actually recognize me from them because it's been so long already. Like what, 3 or 4 years? I honestly don't even remember most people who went there nor the teachers I actually had. I only remember brief memories and the important times I have spent with friends.

"Oh, thought so." another one of them whisphered.

They were all whispering to each other while looking at me so I didn't really understand anything. Andre was still next to me and was just staring coldly at his friends.

"Then, you're friends with Emily Hales, aren't you?" the person who asked me earlier asked me a question again. He raised a brow at me, expecting me to answer.