Chapter 20: The Truth

Camila POV

If my memory serves me right, after my last confrontation with him, we spent our last days in the Philippines as a normal couple. We tried to conceal the truth and push it somewhere in the back of our minds for the rest of the days. We enjoyed our remaining moments together because I knew I have made a deal with him that the moment we set a foot back in Australia, we'll go separate ways.

I tried to resign at the clinic after a few days. However, Ms. Amy.... or technically my auntie from dad's side, talked me out of it.

"Darling, you're resigning because of Damien, aren't you?" she said in a calm voice.

I do not know what she's thinking of us, actually. She has remained cool along with her husband throughout our remaining days in the Philippines whilst Damien and I tried to spend time with each other for the last time. Damien says she's cool about it but I really don't know...

Isn't disgusting for your niece to be lovers with your own child? That's basically immoral.

"Yes..." I said in a low voice, almost putting my head down because of embarrassed I feel.

She let out a long sigh.

"You know what, darling. You really don't have to do this. Even before we found out what's really up, I've always liked you for Dame... We're living in Australia, Mila. No one knows about you and Dame... or us. It's okay. You can still be together with him, hun..." she said softly as she looked at me with concerned eyes.

Since day one, Ms. Amy have always been kind to me. My jaw dropped at what she said. It's really different when it's coming from her. I gulped since demons are threatening me to withdraw the decision I have firmly made ages ago.

There is not turning back.

This is the best solution for us. I think that if we are meant for each other, we will still be together at the end, anyway. Just because two people love each other, it doesn't mean that they should be together straight away.

That's why.... if he'll eventually love someone else, I will try to accept it. I will be happy for him and send him my regards but I cannot stand to be at his own wedding then and clap for him. I will go far, far away and also try to find another person that I can love more than him... If I could really find, that is. I feel like I can only try to love another man as much as I love him but it would really not exceed the splurgling emotions... the love I feel for him.

"I need time to grow, Ms. Amy... once I'm strong enough to handle everything and still have the chance to be with him, I'll go back in his arms." I softly said.

Surprsingly, Ms. Amy smiled at me and walked closer to me to give me a small hug.

"Ok, Mila. I'll be waiting for that day. But, you really don't have to leave the clinic. He saw your resignation paper and he didn't want you to... instead of you leaving, he left. There's this overseas program waiting for him for ages and he decided to finally take it. It'll go on for a few years but it will be beneficial for his career. He'll visit here anyways, every holidays..." Ms. Amy simply said.

See that! I kind of noticed that for a doctor like Damien, he sure had a lot of free time just to flirt with me. I was some kind of dust in the opportunities he's not getting. With me away from the picture, he can also grow and pursue more development for his career. It is really only the right choice.

Time goes swiftly when you're happy, they say. I have realised that it's right. All the cherished months I have spent with Damien, they felt like swindling moments. I did not even realise how much time we have spent with each other. Throughout the time that he has been away from me, I have only realised how dreading time is. How painfully slow and boring it is.