Kids

Chapter 8

Alia

I sat down on a log right beside Clara's dead body. There was a bullet hole in the middle of her head. Only a few had survived the attack. Bernie, Miles and I liked up all the dead bodies right in the middle. I had to take a break. Bodies are heavier than I thought. Looking around, I saw one man that had survived. He looked devastated. He was holding onto a woman. I had to check it out.

I walked towards the man and the dead woman. I put my hand on his shoulder.

"What happened?" I asked him.

He looked up at me with somber eyes.

"I had to kill her... She would have killed us..." He sobbed.

"Who was she?" I asked.

"She was Katie Moymer. She was my wife and a mother... But our kid didn't survive..." He faintly told.

I looked at the RV in fear.

"That's impossible! I locked the door and everything!" I stated.

"She wanted to see her mom..." He sobbed.

He let go of Katie and faced me. I let go of his shoulder.

"My name is Andrew Moymer... And I need your help." He announced quietly.

I hesitated.

"What is it?" I asked.

He took off his brown jacket. He placed it right beside him. He then lifted his black shirt revealing a horrific mark. It was a bite mark.

"My daughter gave it to me. I let her live. She's in the RV bathroom safe. Please take care of her." He told me.

He took out his gun and pointed it at his head.

"Wait!" I shouted.

I was too late. He had shot himself. I gasped but then realized about the RV bathroom.

Bernie and Miles heard the gunshot since they faced me. They were yards away. I couldn't tell them or it'll be too late.

I got up and raced back to the RV as fast as I can. I had my gun with me, but then, I heard screaming. I ran inside and found that one of the kids have opened the bathroom door. I couldn't tell which one is infected. Suddenly, I spot the daughter. I ran up to her and pointed my gun at her. She had already bit three kids. I pulled the trigger.

Miles and Bernie have just arrived.

"What happened?" Bernie shouted.

I turned around with a saddened face.

"They're infected..." I told them with my raspy voice.

I felt a lump on my throat. Two boys and a girl. The girl had a bit mark on her neck the boys were bit on the leg.

"Can't we amputate them?" Miles frantically shouted.

"No, we don't have the medicine. The group hasn't returned." Bernie sighed.

"Dammit!" I cried.

I looked at the little girl.

"My neck hurts." She muttered to me.

I hugged her. I never knew her name. All I knew was that she was a good girl who always help clean up.

"Alia, we have to do this now before anyone gets hurt." Bernie told me.

"But..." I trailed off.

It had to be down.

"Not here..." I stated.

I grabbed the little girl's hand. Miles took the little boys too. We exited the RV and went to the middle.

"Who's gonna do it?" I asked.

We all looked at each other.

"This is so not right." Miles muttered.

"What are we suppose to do then huh?" I questioned in a stern voice.

I sighed and closed my eyes out of frustration.

"What happens if we keep them alive? Can't we see what would happen?" Miles asked.

I heard a thump. We turned around to the little girl on the ground.

"She fainted!" One of the boys pointed out.

Blood oozed out of her neck. I covered my mouth from throwing up. What if she turns? We all watched her.

After a few seconds, she began twitching. The most horrifying thing happens when her limbs began moving. She dislocated her shoulder from that. Her eyes opened. It was pale grey. Her blue veins popped out from her pale skin. She began growling. She jumped up to one of the boys and bit a chunk out his neck.

"Freddy!" The other boy shouted.

I took my gun out and shot the little girl right at the head. Miles then shot Freddy. Silence filled the air. There was one boy left. He looked down and squatted. He covered his head with his hands.

"I don't want to die." he cowered.

I didn't want to do it. I couldn't. No one could. The boy knew we had to kill him.

"Please, I promise not to hurt any of you guys." he begged.

That's when we heard the cars roll in. The saw us with our guns pointed at a little boy with bodies around him.

Bernie.

Miles.

And me.

That's what they saw.