Road

Chapter 23

Alia

I poke my bandage. It's numb. Is it suppose to be like that? The pain wouldn't stop when I stitched it, but now, it's gone. My breathing was still shaky, and I could hear everyone talking, but their voices were muffled. I put my ear against the door.

"She's probably sick. What if she turns into a monster that could knock down the door and eat us?" From what I could tell, Ruth told everyone.

Lillian added, "She's a danger to us and Annette. Maybe we should... you know... get rid of her."

I blink from surprise. Would she really just give me up like that? Would she actually just kill me just so she is safe? I can't believe I actually trust everyone in this group... especially Miles and Charlie. They were my best friends, so they just throw me out in a snap.

"She's just a kid, Lillian." Doc informed with a mellow voice.

I heard a few whispers until another person talked, which was Lillian.

"Screw this," she huffs, "She's going by tomorrow, and I mean dead. I'm going to kill her."

I let out a small angry puff. Lillian is now someone I can't trust...

I heard everyone walk off. I laid my back down on the toilet while holding my arm. I breathe in heavily and out. I stand up and look inside the medical cabinet. After digging through pills and medical supplies, I found a scalpel. I take it and hide it in my boot. I'm ready to die with a fight because I'm not dying in vain so stabbing Lillian will make the group better without that girl. They'll know that I am not useless.

My eyes began getting heavier and heavier each minute I stare at the bathroom door. I let my eyes close into a light sleep. I lay my head on the wall beside me while holding my scalpel.

I wake up to the door creaking. I jump up because I see the window, which had shown me it was night. I've slept for maybe a few hours. I hold on to my scalpel and glare at the door. To my surprise, it was Miles giving me a hand signal telling me to hush. I relax and carefully stand up.

He whispers to me,"They're sleeping."

I didn't say a word.

"We need to get out of here before dawn." Miles quietly tells me.

He hands me a rifle, a glock, and a knife, so I put the glock and knife in my boot. Miles takes my hand, and we quietly walk out of the bathroom. I turn my head on the right. I see Lillian sleeping peacefully on the bottom bunk. Oh how I wanted to shoot her right then and there...

Miles opens the RV door, and we walked out to Charlie holding my backpack. I look at him.

"Take this, Alia" Charlie hands me my bag while Miles closed the door.

He continues, "I can't come... We need someone to lead them away from you, so I'm the one for the job.

I nod my head from understanding. Charlie holds up a walkie talkie.

"I have another walkie I found in the RV. I could communicate to you and maybe Abella if she ever answers." Charlie said.

He puts his walkie in his back pocket and comes up to hug me. He felt warm pressed against my body, so I hugged him back.

"Be careful, Alia." He whispers in my ear.

He kisses my forehead, which made me feel really hot. He heads over to Miles while I stood still, thinking about the small forehead kiss.

I turn around to Charlie hugging Miles too.

"Watch your back, Miles." He tells him before giving him a handshake of some sort.