I've always seen behind your smoke and mirrors ...

If someone understands the reference in the title tell me and you'll get a virtual cookie

~~

While Michael had been impressed by the area, Lucifer recognized something he didn't. And that were the silent steps that seemed to follow them, since they entered the temple. It wasn't the first time he was in the cage, so he had an exact idea what that was that followed him; something he didn't want to meet again. That was why he told Michael to run, and luckily his brother followed his order for once. Now they both ran through the halls of the temple. Michael seemed to be confused; he still had no idea why Lucifer told him to run. Meanwhile Lucifer continued to look over his shoulder, back to the place they just left. That was a mistake because suddenly fog started to establish right in front of him; in front of him and behind Michael. The smoke somehow tried to separate the two archangels. And unfortunately it worked, because soon the younger one couldn't see anything else than his own body anymore. "Michael?" He started to get worried, because Michael had no idea what could happen. And actually ... The angel started to feel a bit defenseless inside the smog. "Come on, please answer me." He reached out his hands, trying to find his brother inside this smoke. "Dammit ..." But luckily the view cleared up after some minutes again and Lucifer could see again.

Michael stopped after some minutes and turned around, planning on facing Lucifer to ask him a question. "Okay, Lucifer, would you be so kind and would answer my question, why we had to run right now-" But the place behind him was empty. "Ehm ... Lucifer?" Michael turned around but he couldn't spot the light haired angel anywhere. "Lucifer, come on. If this is one of your stupid jokes I will murder you. That's not funny. You acted serious not a long time ago." But the archangel didn't appeared now so Michael felt even more confused. "Lucifer?" He decided to look for him and slowly walked through the hall. The places he walked in looked exactly the same as the entrance hall, which wasn't helpful at all to be honest. How should he find his younger brother now? But when he walked around a corner he found something ... Interesting. He stood in front of a mirror and faced himself again. But that wasn't the reason why he thought it was interesting – even though he finally didn't look like he hadn't slept within the last two years anymore – it was interesting that it stood there without any sense. There was nothing that would make it look useful if it was there. So Michael decided to take a closer look at the mirror. There was something at its surface that irritated him slightly. But he couldn't tell what it was, right now. He looked behind himself, maybe Lucifer stood behind him now and was ready to pull a trick on him, but he seemed to be alone. "Okay, what is wrong about you? You make me uncomfortable, and it's not because I can see myself. I look amazing. It has to be the mirror."

While Michael outed himself as arrogant Lucifer stood in another hall, which looked exactly like the hall Michael stood in; except for the fact that there was no mirror. "Did I really lose them? I hope so ..." He slowly walked through the empty hall, carefully listening if he could hear the footsteps again. When he realized that he couldn't the archangel smiled. "Guess I am at least somehow lucky today. I just have to find Michael again." But he couldn't even search for him because smoke started to appear again; meanwhile the male's eyes got wider. "No ... Please not ..." He whispered, while the smoke started to float around him, in a circle. "Oh dear Morningstar; why are you so unpleased to see us?" The cold voices were directly speaking inside his mind and he shivered. They sounded so odd. If he would have to explain it he would say that it sounds as someone tried to sharpen their knife on a glass over and over again, while nails were scrapping on a chalkboard in the background. It was just disgusting. "Look at him; he grew up within the last millennia's!" A hand was created by the fog and held up his chin, while he could hear some voices whisper. "Stop touching me." He moved his face away and took a step backwards; freeing him out of the grip of the fog. "Come on, is that how you behave around friends?"

Finally Michael found out what seemed to be so wrong with the mirror. It wasn't exactly a mirror. It was more like liquid. When he touched it, it started to wrinkle. The mirror-thing reminded him a bit of water in that moment, but it wasn't wet, so it couldn't be the named substance. "What are you? And what is your purpose?" He tilted his head when the mirror started to wrinkle even faster than before. The dark haired one jumped back and tried to find the cause for that movement with his hazel eyes. Unfortunately he couldn't find anything and this made him a bit angry. "Oh come on, it's not like Lucifer's cage is a real life mystery. Just be obvious, I have no time for that ..." After that sentence the mirror started to look more normal again, before he started to show something on its surface. The soldier tilted his head; roaming his eyes over the object. If he would know more about humans it would remind him of a TV or maybe a phone, but he didn't know that much about the creatures and technology, so he had nothing he could compare it too. He just stood there and observed the situation.

The mirror started to show scenes, exactly like a video. And he knew the scenes and the people that were in there. It was himself with Lucifer, as children. How they played in their fathers garden or in the castles. He caught himself starting to feel a bit nostalgic. The old days had been fun.

"You are not my friends. You are just all old, rancorous souls of people that died a long time ago." A sound was audible in his ears now. It was a mix between a screaming animal in pain and hysterical laughing people. "Ouch, guys, that hurts!" "Of course it did! You are still the impertinent little child you were the last time! Stop behaving like that." The devil rolled his eyes. "You all sound like my brother." He might sound pretty calm but actually he was not. His heart was beating fast and his light blue eyes looked around, trying to find a way to escape out of the circle of soul-smoke. The weird sound was there again. They seemed to laugh like this. "If we're already talking about your brother ..."

Michael stood in front of the mirror for some minutes by now, only watching the old scenes he could see there. He was so lost in them that he didn't even control his body anymore. So he only recognized that he stood right in front of the thing when it was too late. He already touched it with both hands. This time it didn't behave like water. He was pushed against the opposite wall. His head hurt and he was about to curse but luckily he could hold that back. He wasn't a person that should curse. That was something Lucifer usually did. But when he tried to walk away from the wall he realized that he couldn't move his body and his arms started to feel numb. He turned his head to his left arm and could see how it slowly began to be soaked in by the walls. "What?!"