Chapter XVI

There were a lot of things that surprised Jimin in his life, especially more so of the late. But no matter how many times this particular occasion arised, Jimin was still going to be very surprised. That particular occasion happened to be whenever he woke up in the morning and saw his parents at the dining room table. Jimin rarely ever saw his parents, he usually was already asleep whenever they got home from their long trips, and they were already long gone for an other one when Jimin woke up most mornings. So it was certainly shocking for Jimin to see them so unexpectedly.

"Uh, hi, eomma, appa." Jimin said awkwardly, somewhat shifting his way into the kitchen Wednesday morning.

His mother and father were both seated at the dining room table, coffee in fashionable cups in their hands. His father's breakfast consisted of an egg sandwich stuffed with bacon and cheese, while his mother had a much lighter breakfast of what looked like carb free cereal and a banana. They may spend most of their time in their office, or fashion studio, but of course they still watched their figures, especially his mother.

"Hello, Jimin." Jimin's dad said crisply, turning the page in the latest edition of the business magazine.

"Morning, dear." Jimin's mom greeted him in a much more cheerful mood, giving him a slight smile over the rim of her coffee cup.

"Uh, when did you guys get back from the trip ? And what are you guys still doing here ? It's almost nine. You're usually gone by now." Jimin asked slowly, yanking open the fridge.

"You're right. Your mother and I are going to Thailand for another very important business trip to this afternoon." Jimin's dad nodded, setting his coffee cup down on the table.

The fridge door swung shut as Jimin stood there in the middle of the kitchen, pathetically grasping a container of yogurt and a bunch of grapes. Well, he certainly hadn't been expecting to hear that.

"Why would eomma and you have a business trip together ?" Jimin said, sounding duped. "You're a businessman, and she's a fashion designer which are two totally different businesses."

"Your father's firm and one of our very old friends are merging together which would double the profits of our company. And since we are long time friends, Taesung has asked me to come along with your father to celebrate. His wife would be joining us too." Jimin's mother answered breezily, as if it was nothing.

Lee Tae Sung had been a family friend to the Parks for years now. The Lee's were a family of four, similar to the Park's, consisting of two sons, the older one Lee Tae Sun of the age similar to Jimin's older brother and a younger son Lee Tae Min of the same age as Jimin. Even though they were close friends Jimin had never had the chance to meet the family since they lived in a huge mansion in Thailand and handled their business from there. Their two sons lived in London from where they were currently pursuing their careers.

Jimin had met the older son a few times at the stupid parties his parents held and that was all, but Jimin could say he was impressed. He was a tall, handsome man with a personality enough to make people want to worship the ground he walked on. Thankfully Jimin hadn't seen the Lee family for a very long time now.

"Oh... Right. Thats great." Jimin said.

He took a seat at the table across from his father next to his mother and spooned out some of his yogurt. There was clearly an awkward air about the room that Jimin probably only seemed to be noticing. His mother was much more attentive than his father when they were home, so she probably felt the rising weirdness, but his father certainly didn't. And one could see why Jimin didn't often enjoy family meals very much.

"I hope you don't mind that we'll be out of town for Chuseok dear." Jimin's mom said, her attention fixed on her son.

"No, I'm fine." Jimin said, shaking his head.