Chapter 18 - First Gun Safety Lessons

This chapter is kind of hard to follow who is talking. So instead of having 'this person said' and 'that person said' for each line, 'E' is Ethan talking, 'R' is Rebecca talking, and 'Z' is Zachary talking.

After dinner at the small arms gun range, Zach and Ethan are teaching Rebecca gun and gun range safety as well as information about handguns and shooting.

Rebecca's POV

Z: "This is where you will be practicing with small caliber rifles and hand guns. We have a longer range for the higher caliber rifles and a sturdier range that is the same size as this one for the higher caliber hand guns. There is also an indoor gun range, but we don't use that often. Almost everything that we go over for safety on this range is the same for the other ranges as well. The only differences in safety between the ranges is how you retrieve the targets and where you stand/sit when firing the guns. Any questions yet?"

R: "I assume that we are on this range because this is where I will start my training."

E: "That is correct. Any other questions?"

R: "That's it for now."

E: "Okay. I will now go over what is easier to learn on the range instead of in the classroom."

We walk over to something that looks like a partial barricade, food stand type thing.

E: "So this is what you will stand at when firing on this range. The other handgun range and part of the indoor range will have you standing behind something similar. It is called a bench. When a cease-fire is called you will place your weapon down on top of this and step back far enough that you can't touch your weapon. The most common reason for a cease-fire to be called is to go pick up or set out the targets. Any questions?"

R: "What is a cease-fire?"

Z: "A cease-fire is a safety precaution. A cease-fire can be called by anyone on the range. In most cases the range supervisor will be the one calling a cease-fire, but if you see someone doing something unsafe, they by all means call a cease-fire."

E: "You call a cease-fire by shouting "Cease-Fire" in the four cardinal directions. It must be yelled so everyone can hear it while shooting is happening and with their hearing protection on. Once everyone has placed their weapons down and stepped back from their benches, then you can take off your hearing protection and go down range or take care of whatever you called the cease-fire to do. When everyone is on the correct side of the benches and everything is safe, and the reason for the cease-fire is resolved, the person in charge may allow you to begin again."

Z: "You will know when you are able to fire because you will hear "The range is hot" shouted in the four cardinal directions. You will hear this also when you are first getting started at the range, not just after a cease-fire. Any questions about a cease-fire?"

R: "You said you are not allowed to touch your weapon under a cease-fire, what about when you first get to the range? I would assume that you start under a cease-fire."

E: "You are right about starting under a cease-fire, but when you first get to the range and they want you to set up your bench you will hear "Prepare the bench". That means that you may lay out your stuff on the bench. You can take out your magazines and fill them, but you may not insert them into your gun.

R: "Okay that makes sense."

Z: "I think we can cover the rest in the classroom. Ethan could you grab one of the spare target holders and bring it into the classroom?"

Thanks for reading!

I would love to hear from you!