Beauty queen of only 18...

It was August the 1st, my 24th Birthday. I still lived with my parents, so every year I celebrated my birthday with them. Reluctantly, I pulled myself out of my bed. I know I know, it's my birthday so I should be excited, but doesn't that mean I deserve a lie in? I put my long, frizzy hair in a messy bun and began carrying my tired body down the stairs. I heard my mom speaking, that meant that my dad was awake too, unless she was talking to herself, which wouldn't surprise me. I entered the room and was taken by surprise due to my dads enthusiastic welcoming, I know it was my birthday and all, but he has never been this excited for my birthday, but I just put that behind me. My mom guided me to the sofa and then hurried towards the kitchen. In no time I had a freshly cooked breakfast placed on my knee, they had made me pancakes with a sparkler on top, it all seemed a little too dramatic for just me and quite childish, but hey, pancakes!

I laughed it off, I always got embarrassed on birthdays. Even though I've had enough practice by now, I never knew what to do with myself when everyone else was singing to me, but my parents understood so stopped the whole malarky in my early teenage years and has now taken to just nodding to me to blow out the sparkler. I blew out the sparkler and was told to make a wish by my mother, she was superstitious most the time, so making a wish was a must for her. "I wish I could marry Adam Levine" I joked, I had been a huge fan of Maroon 5 for a very long time now, since Karas Flowers actually, and I had always had a huge crush on Adam. My mom and dad laughed at my wish, for once acting like a happy clappy family, despite it being just another birthday that I really wasn't too bothered about. While I was eating my pancakes, my dad handed me an envelope, I had my mouthful so I nodded at him in a thankful manner. I swallowed the pancakes and started to open the envelope, there was a card inside with a cake on the front and a 'Birthday Girl' badge attached. I looked at both my parents in turn, wondering why they still bought me such childish cards. I opened up the card, expecting no more than just a sucky note inside but what I actually saw was as far away from sucky as you could possibly get. I stared at it in shock and a little squeal escaped my lips. One Maroon 5 Meet and Greet ticket fell onto my lap, millions of thoughts ran through my head, our family had never had much money, so I would have never expected this. My mom chuckled "Catching flies sweetheart?" At that point I realized I had been staring at the ticket for quite a long time, with my mouth wide open. "How did you get hold of these?! I thought they sold out, the Overexposed album kicked ass, so surely these would have sold out?!" I gasped in one breath.

"Apparently not" my dad smiled "we were sat by the computer all day last month just so we could get you one, I'm sorry we couldn't get two, we didn't have enough money." my dad sounded apologetic, which really suprised me considering that he just bought me the one thing I could only dream about for pretty much all my teenage years to now.

"Jeez, no need to apologize, I'm actually kinda glad no one is coming to witness my break down whilst meeting the five people who mean the absolute world to me!" I shouted, maybe too loud, but at that point I really didnt really care. I went through the rest of my presents, pretty much all of them were Maroon 5 posters, or albums (I had them all already, why did people keep buying them for me?) and everytime I saw a photo of any of them I screamed out "IM MEETING THEM!" over dramatically, but I still didnt care. I also got a few soaps and stuff, you know the sort of things people buy from cheap bargain shops that look like they could cost quite a lot but they really didn't. Some of the presents were really nice though, but none of them rubbed off on my ticket.

I was never going to forget this birthday, it was the best birthday I have ever had, even better than my 6th birthday when I got my first Teddy Ruxpin bear.