Chapter Six : Wide Awake

• Dedicated to Amy for the fabulous trailer (:

 The cold Artic breeze blew through Steve's face as he winced through the pain the breeze gave him. The plane he was flying was moving rapidly, it was headed straight toward New York City. Loaded with bombs that could kill a whole entire race in hours. The thought haunted Steve as he tried his best to think of plan to get rid of the bombs.

 "Come in. This is Captain Rogers. Do you read me?" He called into the speaker.

 A male voice responded, only to be interrupted by a voice he knew too well.

 "Captain Rogers, what is your—"

 "Steve, is that you? Are you alright?"

 Hearing Peggy's voice sent a wave of relief over Steve. But he couldn't rest yet.

 "Peggy, Schmidt's dead!"

 "What about the plane?"

 He bit his lip as he tried to think of a way to explain the situation he was in.

 "That's a little bit tougher to explain."

 "Give your coordinates. I'll find you a safe landing site."

 He noticed Peggy's tone, desperate and worried. A tone Steve never heard from the fearless Peggy Carter.

 "There's not gonna be a safe landing. But I can try and force it down."

 Steve couldn't just land anywhere. The bombs were dangerous and needed to be destroyed one way or the other. And Steve was the one to do it.

 "I'll get Howard on the line. He'll know what to do."

 "There's not enough time. This thing's moving too fast and it's heading for New York. I got to put her in the water."

 The words sounded bitter to Steve as he spoke them. But it was the only way for the safety of the people. He didn't want to be selfish and just land the plane. He wasn't made for that, there was more he needed to do.

 "Please, don't do this. We have time. We can work it out."

 There was no time; the plane was halfway through the world. Time was running out fast. He knew the idea was a life or death decision, which meant never seeing Peggy again, but Steve knew it was the right thing to do.

 "Right now I'm in the middle of nowhere. If I wait any longer, a lot of people are gonna die. Peggy, this is my choice."

 He took out his compass out of his suit pocket. Inside, was his only image of Peggy. His eyes looked at the black and white photo, her brown curls that complimented her red lips. Steve held the plane controller tight and steered the plane toward the Artic water.

 "Peggy?"

 "I'm here."

 "I'm gonna need a rain check on that dance."

 A small smile crept on Steve's face as he pictured them dancing together, laughing and having a good time. If only the moment would become real, come into reality.

 "All right. A week, next Saturday, at the Stork Club."

 "You got it."

 His heart was beating rapidly as the plane grew closer to the ice. With all his heart, he wished there was some way he could see Peggy again. To feel her soft brown curls and red lips.