Visions

NICKY'S POV:

I try to get my arms under Bri to carry her, but she cries out in pain. She's losing too much blood, it can't possibly be good for her.

"Where are you hurt, darling?" I ask her quietly, and she groans in pure agony.

"Left... left hip," she mumbles. "Up high."

"Is it okay if I...?" I ask, moving my hands to the bottom of her shirt.

"It's okay," she says. I move her shirt up and examine her wound. It's clean cut, almost like when Dad would go out hunting and bring back a rabbit that he had...

"Shot," I whisper. "Bri, were you shot?"

She breathes uneasily. "Last August," she says quietly. "Nicky, it hurts... please..."

"Okay, okay," I say, trying to reassure her. "It's okay, darling, I'm here now. I promise, I'm here. I'm right here. Just keep breathing."

"I don't..." she whispers, trying to breathe deeper. "It hurts when I breathe."

"It's okay," I say softly. "Come with me, we'll go to a hospital-"

"No!" she cries, before coughing violently and screaming in pain.

"Shh, shh, I'm here," I say softly. "Why not?"

"I can't... I hate hospitals, please don't take me there," she says. She sounds so weak that I don't question it.

"I have an uncle who's a surgeon," I say quietly. "I'll take you back to my place, and we can stitch you up, okay?"

She closes her eyes, and I try desperately hard to wake her up again. "No, no, Bri, wake up!"

"Pack my bags," she groans quietly. "I can't stay here."

I don't argue with this and go on a hunt around the house. Thankfully, her suitcase hasn't been unpacked yet, and I just zip it up, before grabbing it and taking it to my car. Then, I walk back inside, barely even noticing how Bri's blood is soaked into my clothes.

"Come on," I say quietly to her, and I pick her up. She's too much in pain to notice. She whimpers in my arms, and I resist the urge to bend down and kiss her forehead. "It's okay, I'm here now. I'm gonna help you. It's gonna be okay."

"Nicky..."

"Yes, darling?" I ask.

"Do I need a seatbelt?" she whispers, cracking a small smile.

"No, don't think so." I grin, glad to see her being a little better. "Bri, what happened to you?"

Her breathing is unsteady again. "I'll tell you... when I'm better..."

"Okay."

I send my uncle a quick text, since he's probably awake, and I start the car.

Boy, am I glad Bri didn't hesitate to call me. She wouldn't have survived long.

<><><><><><><><>

"Nicky?" asks a weak voice, and I look around to see Bri, tired but awake.

"Bri! Are you okay? You lost consciousness in the car, and my uncle said you'd be okay, but-"

"I'm okay," she says with a tiny smile. Casper jumps onto the bed and starts licking her fingers, and she scratches the top of his head.

I sit at the foot of the bed. My uncle brought his assistant nurse, Maria, along, who helped change Bri into clothes that were fresh and clean. She sighs, trying to move, but she hisses in pain.