Guardian Angel

HUNTER'S POV:

I wake up to the cold, sad bed, and find a note on my bedside table.

Hunter,

We went home because you were sleeping. Call us if you need to.

Ma and Dad

I rub my swollen eyes, sighing. These next few months are gonna be tough. I can feel it in my bones.

My phone begins to ring, and I answer it bleakly.

"Hello?"

"Is this Mr Hunter Hayes?"

"Speaking."

"We've found Tia Williams."

"You've found her body?"

"No, we've found her."

"You... you mean..."

"She's alive."

TIA'S POV:

My eyesight is blurry as I try and focus. There's heat... lots of heat... I can feel it. Fire... red hot fire.... the devil's breath. I can almost feel Death trying to take me away from this earth, but I cling to the sodden dirt. It's raining, I think numbly. I used to like rain... I can feel it cooling down my body, and I mentally thank the Lord for making it rain.

I can barely move, but all I can really comprehend right now is that the heat is uncomfortable, and I don't want to be near it. I have to get away. I have to.

My legs and arms are killing me, and I can feel blood pouring from my wound, but I drag myself away from the wreck, hearing a giant boom behind me. Pieces of wreckage fall to the ground, narrowly missing my frail body, and I concentrate on one thing: get to the willow tree a few meters away. Maybe Hunter will be there. Hunter, oh Hunter, I have to see him. I have to see him, I need to find him. We're in America now together, we can stay together.

All the rain is starting to soak me through. My clothes get heavier, and it gets harder to drag myself to the tree. The tree is safe.

I look up and see Mark standing there. "It's okay, Tee," he says, smiling. "You can do it. Come on."

I nod. "Uh huh. I'm coming, Mark. Don't worry. I'm coming."

But even as I say the words, the bloodloss starts to get to me. My head is spinning, and I can't breathe.

"Tia, come on," he urges softly. "You can do this. I promise."

"I can't..." I gasp, my side hurting worse than before. "Marky, it's so hard..."

"Come on, Tee," he whispers. He flickers, before coming back into solid focus. Everything else blurs out, and I hear a small humming noise. It's just him and I now. There's no noise. Nothing but the pain, Mark and I. I groan, trying to move, but it hurts.

"Tia, you can. You can do this. Come here. I'll protect you."

"Please..." I whisper. "Help me."

He walks closer, before lying down next to me. "Come on," he says quietly. "We'll make it to the tree together, okay?"

I nod, trying to pull myself across again. He places a hand over my bleeding wound, shielding the blood from my eyes. "It's okay, When you get to the tree, I'll help you. Hunter will be there."

I scream in pain, my side burning horribly. "Mark, I'm dying..."

"You aren't dying," he says. "I promise you aren't. Come on. Just a couple more feet to go." He hugs me, and even though I don't feel anything, it's like the kiss of life. His hug is some sort of anaesthesia. It eases the pain, and I take my hand up, stroking his hair. "Why are you here?"