Chapter 1

Chapter Edited by NotebookNinja

Chapter 1

          "Nat, come on, I’m ready to go!" Lara yelled into my room. We were getting ready to go to a party that she somehow got us invited too.

          It was two weeks before the start of our senior year and Lara’s dad was letting us celebrate it by renting a condo in Destin, FL, all by ourselves. We had a fortnight to soak up the sun, a fortnight with no rules because the ‘rents weren’t there to watch over our every move.

          We hadn’t even had time to settle in before Lara asked me if I wanted to go for a walk on the beach. I made an excuse, saying I was going to hang back and get my stuff unpacked, so I wouldn’t have to worry about it later. I guess I just wasn’t feeling up to it. In reply, she called me a loser and told me she would be back in a little while.

          Lara hadn’t been gone but five minutes when she came bursting into my room. "Start getting ready, we’re going to a party this evening!" she said excitedly.

          "Wait, what?" I blinked surprise.

          "Yeah, I just met these super nice guys on the beach. They said they were having a party tonight at their buddy’s beach house. Apparently one of their best friends is getting ready to leave for Iraq in a couple of weeks, so they’re throwing him a going away party!" she squealed.

          "Sweet!" I said, trying to sound excited, even though I really wasn’t. I just wasn’t that into partying with people I didn’t know. I mean, how fun could that really be?

          "Nat, don’t be a party pooper. Were going to find you a hottie tonight, girl!" Lara grinned.

          Yay me! Not. I wasn’t even sure how she managed to wrap a guy around her finger in seconds. Well, actually, that’s a lie because I did. Lara was freaking gorgeous. She just had that look about her that all men craved, hair hanging just above her shoulders, all bright and platinum blonde. Her skin was that perfect olive tone, the one every girl wishes they could have but somehow never manages to get. Not only that, but Lara was a natural beauty. In the three years I had known her, I had never seen her wear make-up. She didn’t have to try to be beautiful, she just hopped out of the shower, blow dried her hair, and the beauty was all ready to go.

          Lara’s voice pulled me back to reality. "Natalie! C’mon!" she all but screamed. As usual, she was growing impatient with me.

          "I’m sorry Lara, but not all of us can just hop out of the shower and be beautiful," I said jokingly.

          "Whatever Nat, you’re freaking gorgeous! I would kill to be able to wear my hair like you do," she replied.

          I gave myself one last look in the mirror, to make sure everything was as good as it was going to get. I had outlined my green eyes with smoky eye shadow and black eyeliner, and my dark brown, a-frame hair was straitened to near perfection.

          I decided that this would have to do and headed into the living room to meet Lara.

          "About freaking time! Jeez, I know women are supposed to be fashionably late, but not two hours late," she said with a teasing smile. I knew she was only kidding.

          "Well not, all of us are so gorgeous without trying," I tried defending my lateness.

           "Shut-up, Nat. C’mon, let’s get out of here."

          When we arrived at the party, you could see that we were late. Just about everybody there was already falling over drunk and girls were giggling all around me.