The Silence

I ran ahead, trying to catch up with Jamie before I lost sight of him. Seeing him standing there had stirred up so many emotions that I didn't even know how to process them right now.

"Jamie, wait!"

I called out for him, gasping as Miles grabbed me, stopping me from going any further.

"I was so right about you when we first met. You really do have a death wish."

I struggled against him, just like back in the alleyway. It certainly felt like history repeating itself.

"Let me go. I need to talk to Jamie."

He was only a few steps ahead of us, checking for a way in to the jail, but I felt like I could lose him altogether if he went any further.

"No sweetheart, what you need is to calm it and to keep your voice down. We are about to trespass in the most torturous jail any of the generations has ever seen to bust out two prisoners and you are running your mouth off. Quit it."

I still didn't know what to make of Miles. One minute, I felt sorry for him and saw that he was a good person and the next....he infuriated me.

"She told you to let her go. Get your hands off her."

Jamie was so angry that it sent shivers through me. I had never seen him look or sound so cold since I had known him.

"You think I'm going to listen to you? You're girlfriend here has a mission to get us all killed, so forgive me if I'm not crazy happy about letting her go so she can run off and scream your name again."

Jamie turned around to face us. Every time I looked into his eyes and saw how hurt he was, I wanted to cry.

"I said, take your hands off her. Or I'll take your head off."

I gasped as Jamie shoved into Miles, pushing me out of his grip. I could hardly believe that he was capable of violence. Jamie had his fists at the ready, prepared to strike Miles.

"Jamie, come on... it's fine."

He looked at me, his face softening for the first time since he showed up. I breathed a sigh of relief and pulled Jamie away from Miles. Just as I was about to talk to Jamie, Miles shoved Jamie, hard, sending him flying into the dusty ground.

"Oh come on. This isn't the time or place to have stupid little boy fights."

I knew that voice. I could have cried as I saw Mel appear in front of us as if by magic.

I flung my arms around her, relieved to have some back up. The thought of entering The Coal Jailhouse was terrifying enough without the threat of Jamie and Miles beating each other to a pulp.

"Mel, what are you doing here?!"

She hugged me back, then rolled her eyes.

"The same thing as what you are doing here of course. Saving the annoying wizard from torture." I didn't comment on the annoying remark, I knew she adored Popkins really. "And I've bought along some help."

We watched, mesmerised, as a circle of white mist eveloped Jamie, making it look as though fairy dust were being sprinkled on him. There was even a light tinkling sound, like a far away bell. And then a ghost appeared next to him. A ghost that very much resembled a little girl ghost I had once met. Only this ghost was older now, she looked about our age.

I put my hands to my face in shock.

"Maisie? How...how is this even possible?"

She grinned at me, proving that she really was a Sapphire masquerading as a Diamond. No Diamonds were able to show happiness.