Family

All six of us stood in a semi circle, across the other side of the room from Matthew Perkins. He was rubbing his hands against the fire, even though he was a vampire. Ruby vampires couldn't feel the hot or cold. They felt nothing but anger. So it was all an act.

"Come in then everyone, gather around. Let's get to know each other."

His eyes were freaking me out. They were so like Mels, but somehow colder. Even though Matthew had been injected at eighteen years old like all Rubies, he looked older. He had fine lines around his eyes and mouth, something that an eighteen year old shouldn't have.

"OK then dearest Dad, let's have a bonding session, shall we?"

Mel walked further into the room, grabbing a bean bag. When she started to drag it over to the fire to join Matthew, I stepped forward.

"Mel, don't. Just stay with us. We don't know what he's planning."

Matthew looked me up and down, a sly smirk on his face. Mel shrugged easily, placing the bean bag opposite him.

"What does it matter? If he's going to kill us, it doesn't matter when or how. I might as well get a bit of family time in before I die."

There was no denying she was correct. If we were going to die anyway, then what did it matter?

"So tell me Father, how did it feel being instrumental in your own sons death? My brother. My twin. How does it make you feel today? Knowing that you killed Drew, your own flesh and blood."

She leant back on her bean bag, never taking her eyes off him. She still had the bag of blood in her hand that he had handed her when he first walked in. I had to stop her if she made a move to drink it. It could be poisoned.

Matthew scratched his head, still a half smirk on his face. There was nothing about him that said 'remorseful'. He lazily looked at Jamie, clicking his fingers.

"The Sapphire that got to live, Jamie...this is your house I believe?" Jamie nodded, his jaw set in a hard line. All of us were tense. Popkins, Miles and Maisie hadn't moved a muscle. "Could you be a good host and fetch me a drink? I'm parched."

Jamie raised an eyebrow, glancing at me in disbelief, then back at the Mayor.

"You want a drink? Really?"

Matthew chuckled lightly, stroking his chin.

"Yes. What's so hard to understand about that? A hot chocolate would be fantastic. I know I'm a Ruby but us Mayors were given powers from other worlds. I chose one of them to be The Emeralds taste for proper food and drink. I can't stand blood. That's why I got Mel some. From what I've seen, she has a liking for it."

Jamie shrugged, then came close to me, whispering in my ear.

"Don't move. I'll be back in a minute."

I gave a quick nod as Jamie scuttled off, making our unexpected guest a drink. A few minutes of silence passed before Jamie came back in. Mel hadn't taken her eyes off Matthew.

He took the scalding hot cup, examining it closely.

"Popkins, my main man. Just be a dear and do a spell to make sure this drink isn't poisoned. I have to be extra careful being a Mayor."

Popkins looked furious, but dutifully swished his wand and muttered a spell. A halo of white rose up above the cup , which I assumed meant it was fine as Matthew smiled and took a sip, an appreciative 'ahhhh' escaping his mouth.

Mel went to open the bag of blood with her teeth, but I ran forward, snatching it out of her hands. I turned to Popkins, holding the blood out.

"Could you just do that spell on this as well, please?"