Searching

I hugged Jamie with as much strength as I could muster.

"I couldn't leave you. Not yet."

He cupped my face, looking deep into my eyes. As always with him, it was more like he was looking into my soul.

"You scared me, you know that right?"

I nodded meekly, giving him a gentle kiss on the lips. I wanted to stay in his arms forever, just kissing and hugging him, but I was aware we had an audience.

"Could you help me up?" My voice was weak, pathetic. He nodded, quickly putting his arm around my back and steadying me as I stood. My legs were shaky and my head felt like I had been under water for hours. I felt awful, which was no doubt to be expected after literally being at death's door just minutes ago. Jamie was frowning as he looked at me, biting his lip with worry.

"I need my stone. We have to go to The Sapphire Generation, without being stopped and thrown in prison this time."

I hated how scared Jamie looked right now, but I had no choice other than to tell the truth. There was no hiding it.

Popkins walked up and pushed Jamie out of the way. The others had been giving the two of us some space, but I knew they had been listening to every word.

"Hi darling girl!" I smiled as the lovable wizard hugged me. I cuddled him back, so thankful that he was no longer in that awful prison. I glanced at the black, looming building in the background, shivering involuntarily. I never wanted to see that place again, for as long as I lived. "Listen, we will go right away to get your Sapphire. But I need to perform a spell on you first. I want you to know that it's going to make you stronger, but it's only a temporary thing...or...more like a mask. You see, without your stone, you will continue to get weak. Your organs inside will still be shutting down, but the spell will make your body strong enough to get to The Sapphire Generation. There is no spell to completely remove the effects of not having your stone, I'm so sorry."

I shook my head, smiling feebly at him.

"What are you apologising for? It's not your fault Popkins."

He muttered the spell under his breath, I couldn't hear the exact words. With the flick of his wand, I was able to stand unsupported, the woozy feeling in my head gone. Popkins snapped to it.

"Right guys, we don't have much time. We need to make our way to The Sapphire Gen, I can cast a spell that will take us right through the tunnels to the door of the world. I uh... I couldn't help with it last time because I wasn't myself after all the torture...but...anyway. Where was I?" I saw the terror in Popkins eyes as he remembered just what The Coal Jailhouse had done to him. I had only had a fraction of the torture he'd had to live through. It was enough to leave a bruise on the mind. He tried to compose himself, talking again. "When we enter The Sapphires, it is most important that we help Cassie find her stone. Without it, she...she...uh."

I cleared my throat and stepped into the middle of the group.

"Without it, I will die. Drew told me." Mel gasped at the mention of her brother, putting a hand to her mouth in shock. "I will fill you in as soon as I am able, I promise. He says Hi. He loves you Mel. He wants us all to win this unfortunate fight we have found ourselves in" A murmur of agreement sounded across the group. I smiled at Maisie who was hovering around us. "I can't thank you enough for what you did Maisie. Really." She held her hands up and shrugged, acting as if she hadn't saved all of our lives. "So for now, we need to get to The Sapphire world. I don't expect any of you to help me more than you already have. I love you all. I really do."

The group gathered around me for a hug. Popkins on one side of me, Jamie on the other.

"I hope Miles wasn't included in your declaration of love."