The Choice

I could hear everyone talking about me as I laid on the huge four poster bed in the first bedroom I found. I didn't know if anyone else had picked this room. I didn't care. I wanted to be alone.

I just couldn't believe that most of the group were considering Matthews proposal. I wanted to live. I wanted to have all of my friends around me and live in peace without the fear of the authorities killing us at any moment. But to do that at the expense of others was wrong.

I could hear Miles getting angry, his voice echoing up through the wooden floor. He had really impressed me tonight, standing his ground. He believed the same as I did, that going to The Rubies with Matthew to begin to transform all of the generations to vampires was wrong.

Coming to The Sapphire world was better than my wildest dreams. As soon as I stepped through the door of that murky tunnel and saw the golden sands and mountains all in one view, I felt complete. I had found my place. Before Matthew Perkins disturbed us, I was happier and calmer than I had ever felt in my life.

I stared at the ceiling and cupped my stone, relishing the smooth feel of it in my hand. I sighed heavily, so many thoughts in my head.

"I wish they could all see how wrong it is. They have to remember what we are fighting for."

I muttered the words, surprised that my mood was so low I had resorted to talking to myself. Suddenly, the room started spinning. I gripped on to the sides of the bed as it span round and round, but to no avail. I cried out as I hit the ground, my eyes dazzled by the startling white brick of the pathway. I looked to the right, then to the left of me. Gem stones sparkled, a deep, glowing red surrounded me. I was in The Rubies.

I stood up shakily, trying to get my bearings. I gasped as I saw a group of people in front of me, their backs to me, realising they were my friends. I ran over to them, tapping Jamie on the shoulder. He didn't flinch. He didn't even acknowledge me.

"Jamie?" I tapped him again, this time harder. My nose crinkled in confusion as I got a better look at him. He was wearing a dark red button up shirt, and black jeans with a red belt. He definitely hadn't been wearing those when we were in The Sapphires. I looked around at the rest of the group, realising they were all in red as well. Mel and Maisie were in red dresses with black trim, looking glam and sultry. Popkins wore a white shirt with a shiny red waistcoat over the top. I looked for Miles, only to realise with a start that he wasn't here.

I shook Jamie now, trying to get his attention. I swallowed hard as I realised he was different. His golden, gentle eyes were so dark they were almost black and his usually kind face had an insincere smirk across it. I gave a little cry of horror as I saw the huge Ruby hanging from his neck, replacing the Sapphire that was once there. It didn't look right. Everything was wrong.

When I realised that he wasn't paying attention to me, I focused on what he was looking at, what they were all looking at. There, on the ground, in the middle of my circle of friends, lay Miles. His face was black and blue, covered in bruises. His hands tied behind his back, he was so weak he could only whimper. My hands flew to my mouth as I realised he still had his Sapphire around his neck. He was barely conscious. I could hear him muttering over and over again, managing to catch the words "it's wrong."

I noted that it wasn't only Jamie who was smirking. It was all of them. What was going on? Why were they doing this. I stepped closer to Miles as Matthew entered the circle, a malicious grin on his face.

"Good work everyone. You have proved yourselves as Rubies. You've made him weak and pathetic. I love seeing that hopelessness on their poor little faces when I kill them. Now, while I take this disgusting Sapphire away so I can personally torture him to death, why don't you go and fetch the other one, Cassie."