Brand New

We gathered around Kitty, amazed that she was here. She really was everything I had dreamed she would be. You could almost see her aura. She was good through and through.

Jamie stood one side of me, as always the protector. I could tell from his expression that he felt bad about yelling at Popkins before. My Mum stood on my other side while the rest of the group huddled around us.

"Popkins is right, in any other situation, I'm afraid Cassie would succumb to the SAD spell. But now I am the head of Pearl Authorities, there are ways I can help."

She beamed kindly at me, giving a gentle nod. She was delightfully graceful. I smiled back, feeling somewhat like I was meeting a celebrity.

"As you know, the Mayors of our generations are protected. I know Popkins managed to kill Matthew Perkins, but that was exceptional circumstances and Popkins is an extraordinary wizard. The Mayors are pretty much untouchable."

She got her wand out and walked towards me, still smiling. With the hand that wasn't holding the wand, she touched my shoulder gently.

"Since the moment you graduated, you have shown immense bravery time and time again. You are strong and courageous. You have come back from the brink of death more than once and you have a desire to let people live peacefully as they choose." She paused and swished her wand. She didn't say anything, but neon blue dust fluttered through the air and on to me, sinking through my skin. "Cassie, I am honoured to make you the Mayor of The Sapphire Generation. I know that right now there aren't many of you left, but I trust that you will lead your people in an effective and gentle way. Becoming Mayor also automatically erases any spells that have been placed on you."

My mouth fell open. I couldn't believe it. Me, the Mayor. Jamie was grinning at me, pride written all over his face. I was elated, but couldn't help feeling like a fraud. Jamie had been through years of torture just to be a Sapphire, I was sure he deserved it more than me. But then again, if I wasn't made Mayor, then I would have had to face a painful death.

Kitty stepped back, a satisfied expression on her face. She looked around at all of us, her wand still out.

"As you can imagine, now you are under my authority, things will be very different."

She pulled back her sleeve, and we watched mesmerised, as a delicate, beaded pearl bracelet appeared on her wrist. She held it up to her mouth, just like Maisie had done when she was in Dianne's body. I felt a sad pang at the thought of Maisie. My eyes watered as I focused on Kitty.

"My first act as head of Pearl Authorities, is to make sure that from now on, the Sapphire Generation is left alone. Current and future Sapphires will be allowed to live in peace, in their beautiful world with Cassie as the Mayor. Also, the current Sapphires are no longer at our mercy. They do not work for us anymore. They will live their lives peacefully."

Jamie kissed my cheek, unable to contain his joy. I wrapped my arm around his waist, finding it hard to believe that this was happening. Did we really get to go home and live a normal life now Kitty was head? I couldn't fathom it.

"Word would have spread by now that Matthew Perkins, the Mayor of The Rubies, has erm...passed away." I raised an eyebrow at her choice of words. That was certainly one way of putting it. "Therefore, I would like to announce his daughter, Mel, as the new Ruby Mayor. I am sure The Rubies will welcome her with open arms after being under Matthews direction."

Mel grinned, high fiving Popkins with a woop. A sprinkling of red dust fell over her.

"As for The Emeralds, now I am no longer there, I of course hand over my title as Mayor to the glorious Wizard Popkins. He deserves it more than anyone I know and I am certain he will be the best ruler the generation has seen, even better than me."