Eighteen

Zach's POV

The next day...

Jack doesn't know I have new scars on my wrists. None of the boys do. Thing is, I have no other way to cope with my pain. I guess music helps, but once I stop playing everything comes back and invades my mind. If only Jack paid more attention to the songs I play, he'd probably get the memo.

If only, if only..... why don't you just tell him?

I can't, he won't believe me.

Okay.....then expect him to stick with Ann for quite some time.

.......

"Jonah! I need to talk to you." Jonah stands up from his spot on the couch and walks with me to my room. 

Third person

Jack stands with his ear pressed against the door, listening to Zach and Jonah's conversation.

"Jonah......" Zach says slowly.

"Y-you did this? Why?" Jonah's voice is laced with concern.

"I can't....seeing him happy with someone that used him for attention like, 3 weeks ago hurts me. It physically hurts me, emotionally too. Please don't tell the other guys." Pain fills Zach's voice, something Jack isn't used to. He's used to laughter coming from the younger boy, he's used to smiles and jokes. Not this, never this. 

"Maybe you should tell him?" 

"No, he'd hate me.....he' be repulsed at the fact that I'm gay/bi. I don't really know." Zach says.

"Oh well. I guess....we'll just have to wait until his memory comes back." 

"Hey, um....should I sing him over and over again? We did a cover together, maybe he'd remember." Zach's expression is hopeful, while Jack is confused. Jack doesn't know they're talking about him. 

"That's up to you. Now, I ha-"

"Also, how'd the date go?" Zach interrupts.

"Um......" For the first time, Jonah looks flustered.

"Did you guys kiss?"

"Yeah......" Jonah rubs the back of his neck like he usually does when he's embarrassed. 

"YES! Jo, I'm so happy for you! Just...as long as Dani or you doesn't get amnesia....." Zach trails off again, suddenly sad. 

Jack stands at the door, wondering who they're talking about.

"Hey, it's okay. I'm sure he'll remember soon."

"I can't s-see him l-like this J-Jo. H-he d-d-doesn't k-know that Ann's using for a-a-a-attention." Zach chokes through his tears. 

Oh. They're talking about him. But it can't be true, right? Jack sighs and decides to ignore it until his memory comes back. 

"Hey, calm down. Soon enough, he'll realize."

"You know h-he has sc-sc-scars on his back from h-his dad? His d-dad hit him when he bought h-home his first b-b-boyfriend. I s-saw them." Zach sobs even harder into Jonah's chest. Jack covers his mouth with his hand in disbelief. 

"I....I never knew that." Jonah says, his expression grave.

"Y-yeah."

Silence settles over them until Zach speaks again.