The Question

Alex POV

"I just don't know Lafayette! What if says no?! I only have two more days! I don't want to be known as a liar!" I heard my roommate complain to someone.

I was in my room at the time, reading Why Having a Decent Childhood is Overrated.

"Just ask him, mon ami! If you explain your situation he might understand," The other person sighed.

"Alright, I guess I'll try. But if he says no you better find someone who's actually willing to!"

"Don't worry, mon ami. Anyway, I gotta go. Good luck!" The person said as I heard them leave.

After a few moments of silence, my roommate knocked on my door.

"Yes?" I sighed.

"Umm... it's your roommate. Can I come in?" He inquired.

"Sure,"

He walked in, and I looked him up and down.

He had freckles covering every inch of his slightly tanned skin, and curly hair that was tied up into a bun. He was also extremely tall compared to me. He was, he to be honest, kind of hot.

"I umm... need to ask you something..." He sat down on my bed, which was across from my desk; where I was sitting at.

"How about my name?" I joked.

"Oh, yeah! I should probably ask you that too. So... what's your name? I'm John," He introduced himself.

"I'm Alexander," I replied.

"Anyway, so the question..." John took a deep breath, "Will you pretend to be my boyfriend..?"

"WHAT?! HELL NO!" I yelled as an instinct.

I had just met this guy, and he asked me to be his pretend boyfriend? That's absurd, and certainly not a good way to greet the person you'll be spending four years with.

"Wait! If I tell you why will you consider it?"

"It'll be a very slim chance that I say yes, but I'll consider it," I lied.

I wasn't going to consider it. I just wanted to know why the hell he needed a boyfriend.

"Well, I made a bet, and I really want to win it. And to do that, I need a boyfriend by this Saturday. And I think you would be the best for the role," He explained.

"Okay, first of all, it's just a bet, it doesn't matter if you win or not. Second of all, why do you think I'd be good for the role?"

"Well, I know the bet doesn't matter, but I just want the satisfaction of winning. And well, not very many people know who you are, especially my friends, so..."

"Well, I'll do it-"

"YESS! THANK YOU SO MUCH!"

"-If you pay me first," I finished.

"How much?"

"Twenty thousand bucks," I answered, slightly joking.

See, I trying to play hard to get so that he'd give up on me, as a plan

"Done!"

"Wait really?"

I was that surprised he actually agreed.

"Of course! I'm just glad you're willing to do it," John laughed nervously.

"Wait! Seeing as I'm your pretend boyfriend, why don't you take me on a pretend date?" I smirked.

"I- Uh... Alright," He looked flustered.

I knew this was a dumb idea, and I barely knew him, but twenty thousand dollars is still twenty thousand dollars. How harmful could it be? And plus, it's not like I'd have to do it for very long anyway.

"Meet me outside of the school in two hours," John said after a minute of silence.

"See you there!~" I cooed, and decided to go to the park to contemplate my life choices.

Once I arrived, I sat down at a bench, plugged in my earbuds, and simply sat there, enjoying the view.

I thought about what had just gone down in the dorm. I was pretending to date someone, and I was pretending to go on a date with them. I mean, I know I'll get a shit ton of money, but was it really worth it? I could always pretend break up with him. The term 'pretend' started irritating me.

I thought about it for a few more minutes, and decided I should just tell him that I didn't want to take his offer anymore. What's it to him anyway?

I checked the time on my phone and it had only been twenty minutes. I sighed, and realized I didn't have any friends, and I hadn't brought my laptop with me to write. I mentally scolded myself for my stupidity and went to go get some food. I was bored, what else was I to do?

So I walked to a nearby restaurant to sulk over salty fries.

I walked in and took a seat in a booth next to the window, unplugging my earbuds.

"What would you like to order?" A waiter inquired as he walked up to me.

"Cheeseburger with extra fries," I sighed.

"I work at a fast food restaurant, stop sighing. Your life couldn't possibly be worse than mine. But yes, I will get you your food because it is the only way I gain income in this-"

"I-I get it. Please get my emotional support," I cut him off.

The waiter gave me a look before leaving to get my food.

Once I finished eating I checked the time, did a bit of math, and cake to the conclusion that it was time to cancel the pretend date.

I walked to the school, thinking about how much I walk and how much I need a car. So soon enough, I had arrived.

Then, I spotted John, holding a bouquet of roses and a box of chocolates, and my heart went BOOM!