Chapter 4

" I don't know why she would be late." I hear my step mom's voice out side the office doors.

" She was absent up until 6 the period." I hear my principle rant.

One time!! Freaking one time I was absent half the day,and they call home. But yet others can skip three times a week and never get call on,Bullshit man!! Its like the fates are out to destroy me! For once can't I be happy??

The door swings open and out walks the devil herself. She has her fake loving mother look on her face. To other people she looks exactly that, but I know better.

" Ah. New hair! How surprising! " She exclaims. " Is that why you were absent half the day?"

I nodded.

" I'll let this one slip Ms. Kole, but next time you'll get detention."

I smiled a clipped smile and turned to walk towards the car.

" River wait up!"

I turn to my right and see Jesse jogging down the hall towards me.I look back at her and she has a bored expression on her face.

I walked towards him.

" Hey, tomorrow maybe we can work on our project together since you weren't here first period." He teases. Then he turns serious. " Hey, you okay?"

I give a small smile and nod. " Tomorrow then." I say.

" River let's go!" I hear her yell.

I sigh and turn away from him,but before I could he grabs my wrist.

" I'm serious, if something is wrong you can tell me."

"Nothing is wrong." I shake off his hand, But that's the last thing I wanted to do.I wanted him to hold me, and tell me everything was going to be okay.

Instead I gave him an apologetic look and walked away from him. I walk out the doors and head to the car.

I climb in and buckle my seatbelt.

" I'm not sure what to think about your stunt today." She says next to me.

She starts the car, and pulls away from the school. The whole ride to the house was silent and awkward. As she pulls up to the house I'm unbuckling my seat belt.

She parks it and we both get out,Surprisingly she doesn't say anything. She just walks into the house and goes to her room.

I just head to my room and close the door,I pull out my laptop and start a little research over the essay. I laughed to myself, why do I need to research when I can just write about myself, I know what it feels like.

Hours pass, I look at the time on my phone and jump up. I rush outside and run down the path to the barn.

I go to her stall and slid the doors open.

"I'm sorry girl. I got caught up."

She blows out her nose and turns to me. I run my hand down her soft face, her warm breath giving me tingles.

I laugh and grab her empty buckets and fill them up, instead of putting them back into her stall I place them on the outside.

I make a kissing noise with my lips, her ears perked up.

" Come on." I swing my hands outwards. She whines and walks out of the stall.

" Go!! Run!" I throw my hands in the air shooing her out of the barn and into the pasture.

I watch her run and throw up her head in the wind.

I turn and grab a pitch for and a scoop shovel. I walk to the far wall of the barn and roll back the wheel barrel.I start to muck her dirty stall.