Chapter four

"Ivel. Joining them in their hand to hand combat training?" Hanji asked, placing her arm over Ivel's shoulder, guiding him to walk towards the training ground.

"No. Those are useless against titans. Besides, no one will even be up to standard." Ivel shoved her arm off, taking a turn.

Erwin who was watching the whole time smirked and spoke. "Perhaps Mikasa might just be able to beat you up."

"Impossible." Ivel stated clearly, not even considering the possibility. He was confident that his hand to hand combat was better than anyone else. The only person that might be able to match up to him was Levi. After all, they did learn it from the same teacher.

"Go watch their training in using their 3DMG later. We're preparing for the next expedition." Erwin got serious. He had a new strategy to pair up with the previous strategy. He wasn't sure if it was going to work but he was willing to try if it means reducing the casualties.

Ivel nodded, heading over to the training ground. He decided to watch them for awhile, to see how good they were. It was troublesome but he still had to do it, for the sake of humanity.

The sun shone onto each and everyone one of them. Their hands and legs used as they went up against each other in hand to hand combat. Their uniforms wet from the massive amount of sweat their bodies were giving out. It was a hot afternoon, but that was no reason for them to be slacking or resting. As they were taught, the fate of humanity lies in their hands. They couldn't afford to rest.

As Ivel stepped into the training ground. It caught their attention. They turned to face the Captain, placing thier fist on their hearts, saluting. Ivel narrowwed his eyes, nodding and they continued their training. They were all practicing with a partner but Mikasa stood at the side. She was practicing her moves alone.

'What a loner.' Ivel thought to himself as he slowly approached Mikasa. But then, her action brought him back memories.

It was a hot afternoon. The sun was hanging high on the sky and it was clear of any clouds. The new recruits were assigned to train their hand to hand combat. All recruits obeyed that instruction and started practicing with a partner. Ivel however, stood the side of the training ground. He practiced his moves on how he would escape a titan if he wasn't able to handle it. He used the haunting experience of his last expedition to help him predict the possible moves of the titans.

Coincidentally, the commander, Erwin was nearby, watching their training. Upon seeing the commander, the recruits placed their fist at their hearts, saluting before continuing with their training. Ivel just glanced at the commander before continuing with his own training. Erwin was curious at Ivel's doing. He walked pass the crowd of recruits. He turned a blind eye even to those outstanding moves the other recruits used.

"What are you doing, Ivel? Instructions was to practice your hand to hand comabt skills." Erwin said, giving Ivel a stern face.

"Commander, I feel that hand to hand combat is unnecessary when going up against titans. Besides I'm confident enough about my skills." Ivel glared at the commander, speaking calmly. He was completely unafraid of offending the commander.

Erwin smirked, getting into fighting stance. "Alright, prove it to me."

Everyone looked at Ivel as if he was insane. Some thought he really went insane after the expedition. That haunting experience really changed him a lot. But not one of them thought Ivel could actually beat the commander. The commander was much taller than Ivel was, more muscular and definitely stronger than Ivel.

Ivel narrowed his eyes before rushing at the commander with his hand dragging losely behind him. The commander sent a fist at him, at the right side. His body was in the way so there was no way Ivel could escape that punch, he couldn't make it in time. Even the commander thought so. But Ivel didn't take the hit. It was true, there wasn't enough time to escape but Ivel wasn't planning to. He turned his body side ways, making the commander miss the hit by only a slight. Then, the next second, Ivel kneeled down, with one leg stretched out completely, he slid it across the floor. It made the commander lose his balance, bending down from his actual height. Taking this advantage, Ivel jumped onto the commander, dropping him onto the ground. Sitting on the commander, Ivel took his knife out, spinning it before gripping onto it. He clenched it tight in his palm, placing it beside the commander's neck before letting go.

Erwin was dazzled by his performance. Not long after, Erwin assigned Ivel the role of Captain. Erwin decided that Ivel had the talent. He was just strong.

"Why aren't you practicing with a partner?" Ivel questioned Mikasa, crossing his arms.

Mikasa glanced over at him, "There's only odd numbers. I'm always left out so I train alone."

"Mikasa Ackerman was it?" Ivel said, recieving a nod from Mikasa. He really didn't expect any Ackerman to still be alive.

"Mikasa! We're heading for 3DMG training now!" A certain blonde haired boy yelled, waving to Mikasa. If Ivel remembered correctly his name was Armin Arlert, te one that came up with the strategy to reclaim Wall Rose.

Mikasa bowed to me with her fist at her heart before running off with Armin to the 3DMG training feild where Erwin should be right now. Ivel took his time walking there, all the way he was watching the new recruits having fun, talking to each other. The smiles on their aces were brighter than his would ever be.

He arrived to find Erwin talking to them. He let out a sigh of relief. He was glad Hanji wasn't here. Hanji was absolutely just annoying in his opinion, although she is good in her own way. She's just too wild.

"Perfect timing Ivel. Could you demonstrate to them a few ways of using 3DMG in an empty space when encounter a titan." Erwin said, getting a few other people to help hold up the fake titans made for practice.

Ivel rolled his eyes, getting his 3DMG gear ready. His eyes looked around, left, right, up and down. After determining the amount of titans and their height, he started running forward, pass the titans. Then he turned jumping, he shot a hook at the titan, using the titan, he glided towards it, cutting off its nape. Before it collapses, he used it as a platform, jumping off. He started rotating in the air, slaying the titan. From there, he jumped onto the next target and rotated along the hand of it, emerging from the rotation and cut off its nape easily. Jumping from there, he rotated, slicing off the next Titan's nape before landing on the ground. He wasn't even showing any signs of lack of breath or tired from slaying so many titans in a row.

Erwin glared at him, taking in a deep breath to keep himself from yelling at the young captain. "As shown from his complicated moves, what you're supposed to do is use the titans as the objects to assist you in gliding."

They took turns trying it out, trying to figure out how it works. In their training in the military, they haven't been prepared to fight titans in open space which is often encountered when outside the walls. There were only three training grounds so they all had to wait for their turns.

"Sir, pardon me but is your way of holding your blades allowed?" Armin approached Ivel who was standing beside Erwin.

"It's a 'wrong' way." The young captain replied, placing his blades back, crossing his arms.

"I figured this method has greatly helped in your ability to slay titans. This method involves holding his right sword backhand. By doing this, the blades cut in a "circle" around you, and give you the ability to utilize spinning and other rotating attacks, allowing you to maintain incredible speed and agility while fighting. At the same time, this helps you keep his energy up without wasting stamina and strength needlessly, enabling you to fight for longer periods of time and take multiple targets out simultaneously. Am I right?" Armin asked, all of a sudden realising that the young captain was actually shorter than he was.

Erwin glanced over at Armin, surprised at the fast working mind of his. He had doubted that a second person after him could explain Ivel's way of holding his blades. It was like how one holds a knife, it was the same.

Ivel let out a smal huff. "I don't know the complex behind that, but that's how I've been doing it everytime."