Chapter 3: Shut up Souji, I'm not your Wife

A/N: Just so everyone knows, swearing is guarenteed in pretty much every chapter. Also this is being written at 1 am becaus I like to drive myself insane and have zero self-control.

- 6 days later -

Rin grumbled as she entered Souji's room, a tray in hand. She'd been stuck on nurse duty for the last three days. The man's fever had spiked in the middle of the night and that, had been the death of her chances at any sleep that night. The dark circles under her eyes looked more like bruises than anything else.

"Souij, are ya dead yet?"A pained groan sounded as Souji tried, kind of succeeding, to sit up. Rin clicked her tongue and answered for herself.

"Not yet. That's disappointing."

"That's hurtful, Wifey."He retorted, in a hoarse voice. She scoffed. He was delirious, he must have been.

"Since when am I your wife? I don't remember taking any vows." Souji chuckled, the sound devolved into a string of dry hacking noises. Once that mess stopped, he answered her question:

"Only since you've started making me food, doing my laundry, cleaning the house and worrying about my health." Rin sighed with irritation:

"It's called obeying our idiot vice-commander's stupid fucking orders. You should try it some day. Now, eat the food and lie down."

-------------------------------------------

Rin woke up to incoherent shouting. Scrambling to her feet, she ran through the halls. She stumbled over her own feet, eyes still fogged with sleep. Damn, it looked like she wouldn't be sleeping tonight either.

She could tell now that the uproar came from Souji's room. Slamming the shoji open, she scanned the room, everything was in order, except that Souji was thrashing around and yelling gibberish at nothing particular. Great, a repeat of yesterday night, and the night before and the night before that one.

Rin literally had to fight him to check his temperature. Scratch a repeat of last night, it was worse than last night. She stumbled back to her feet and got to the kitchen as fast as her sleep deprived body would let her. Still pretty fast. She grabbed clean rags and a tub of cold water and dashed back.

It took all of Rin's willpower not to simply knock Souji out. She dipped the linen is cold water and tried to wrestled the poor bastard to the ground. After a few attempts, Rin finally managed to pin down the noticeably stronger man. She put the cloth on his forehead and rearranged the blankets over him. The same pattern repeated over and over for about five hours. When the fever finally came down and Souji started sleeping peacefully, Rin felt like she'd just run a marathon. Her eyesight blurred and she swayed on the spot. She collapsed on the side of Souji's futon, not bothering to go back to her room.

  -------------------------------------------  

Rin didn't want to wake up. She was comfortable for the first time in four days, she was warm and she'd slept more than two hours in a row. She could feel sunlight on her cheek, a blanket over her and hear Souji's even, if a bit raspy, breathing. Wait ... WHAT?

"Good morning Wifey."

Ohhhh ... gods save her, she was never going to live this down. Her life was over.