Chapter 34: Exposition

Rin flexed her fingers in shock. Wielding a spear wasn't horribly painful. She'd managed to make what would have been a mortal blow on any normal human. She stumbled back in utter disbelief. She scrutinized them. Clenched her fist. Unfurled her fingers. Overextended her elbow. Nothing, only a slight twing when she threw her arm back. How hadn't she noticed? Her range of motion was somewhat reduced, but nothing major.

Heisuke said:

"You probably shouldn't ..."

"It doesn't hurt."

"What?"

"I can move without pain." His eyes widened. Then, a big grin spread across his face.

"Really?"

"Really." He took her hand, gazing at it intently.

"It's a miracle ... does it mean you'll be joining patrols again?"

"Only if Toshi's stubborn arse doesn't pull an over-protective brother move."

"And Souji?"

"... has no say in this." Heisuke smiled:

"Fair enough." All exitement drained from Rin's face as she noticed Sannan examining the corps. He pulled the eyelids apart, revealing the disturbing red eye.

"Saito, Harada, I need you to carry him inside. Everyone else, go to the main hall. We need to talk."

--------------------------------------------

A vial of glowing red liquid sat in the center of the room, everyone's attention focused on the tiny glass flask. A dark cloud hung over the room. A middle-aged bald man spoke:

"The bakufu obtained it through foreign trade, it's called the water of life. It increases physical strength, speed and healing, at the cost of sanity." Serizawa cut in:

"So, it isn't full of only perks, eh?"

"Indeed, to top it all off, these powers can only be exercised in the darkness ... We've nicknamed those who take the medicine furies." Sano's eyebrows shot up.

"I remember who it was ... Lesato!"Wait. White hair, colour changing eyes ... ohhh gods. This was too strange to be a coincidence. Don't think about it. Focus on what people are saying.

"That's right." Toshi said, a well-disguised hint of regret in his voice. Heisuke's head shot up:

"Wasn't he one of our buddies from edo?"

"You used one of our pals to test out this crazy medicine?!" Niimi, the slimy bastard, said:

"He was supposed to slice his gut open for breaking the code. We just made use of a dead man." Shinpachi growled:

"That's no excuse."

"He didn't die by seppuku. That's the only difference." Serizawa said, dismissively. Toshi narrowed his glare at the cold-eyed man then turned to Kondo-san.

"I'm entirely against experimentation with this medicine." Rin straightened up finally pulling herself together.

"I am as well. Iesato didn't even recognize us." Kondo-san nodded.

"I'm of like mind."

"But, according to Yukimura, there's still massive room for improvement." Rin felt anger stir in her gut.

"Then test it out on condemned criminals. I'm sure that you can find willing participants in jail cells. Simply promise them freedom if they survive." She felt several pairs of eyes locked on her.

"These are the Shogunate's orders!"

"As far as I'm concerned, that's no reason to deny our comrades dignified deaths."

"Hijikata, keep you bitch on her leash. We don't need her yapping." Coldly, Toshi replied:

"She makes a good point. There's no reason to obey an unreasonable order."

"Warriors consider it an honour to obey orders from the shogun ... even if they are unreasonable. Although I don't expect one not born into a warrior family to understand this."

"You little ..." Kondo-san gave Toshi a chilling glance, one he only used in tense situations.

"Considering our current standing ... we cannot ignore the shogun's orders. If there's room for improvement, I think it would be wise for Niimi to step down from his position as chief and devote his time to research so as to avoid a repeat of this time." Niimi nodded the entire way through, until he realized what Sannan was proposing.

"Th ...That's absurd! I ... could never step down!"

"Very well." Serizawa nodded. Sannan smiled:

"Then Niimi and Kodo-san will conduct their experiments. I offer my assistance if it is ever required." And that was that. Toshi dismissed everyone for the night.

As she left, Rin tugged Souji behind her.

"I need to talk to you."