t w o

I gazed at the moving flame, watching it dance in the darkness. Orange, red, and yellow. All very distinct bright colours. Yet, when they were fused together, the individual wasn't what mattered, but what they could create together was the master piece. I remembered someone quoting that on a show. But I couldn't remember who.

 After staring at the soundless wispy flame for another minute, I closed my eyes. My mind was finally at ease after a rather hectic day. I had to herd Rosie and Zack outside, while my mom had another one of her crying episodes. I really hope those will end soon, since we're living in a new place. She won't be reminded of dad anymore. He hated suburban areas—this was as isolated as it could get. Unless you counted the small house on the other side of the road. But I wasn't about to count that. It seemed like no one had lived in there for centuries, and I wasn't about to knock on the front door. I blew out the restless flame, watching it disappear and the aftermath smoke arising, before turning on my back. Everyone else was sleeping together on the 1st floor in the living room, while I was alone in my room. It was nice. Cold, but nice.

Staring up at the ceiling, I tried to force my mind to sleep. I always had the tendency to think too much before bed. One second I would worry about school, and the next I would think about why the moon is round. I snuggled deeper into my winter jacket. My thoughts weren't the only problem, the cold air seemed to cling onto my bones, despite my many winter layers. My blanket was paper thin, and it barely seemed to block out the chilly atmosphere. 

Right as I started to nod off, I heard a light tap on the window above my head. My senses immediately came back to life, and I propped myself back up as quick as I could. What was that? I wordlessly stared at the window. I could only see the branches of a tall tree swaying beside it. My suspicions were pinned on a crow. It might've accidentally hit the window. Without giving the disturbance a second thought, I stiffly laid down again as best as I could— with my jacket in the way. After a couple of minutes, I fell asleep. 

It was Sunday. 

Mom decided that today was when she would drive out to buy groceries. It would take at least an hour — the closest chain supermarket was located a far distance away. I was entrusted with the task of looking after Rosie and Zack. Probably just going to settle them down in front of the TV and do something else on my own, maybe even coax them into taking a nap. 

"Mom, mom!" Rosie tugged on my mother's tan coat with her mittens. "Be sure to get those fruit snacks that I really like!" 

My mom patted her hat. "Of course, sweetheart." 

I rolled my eyes, with my back turned. Mom wasn't going to spend the extra money left over on fruit snacks, she was going to buy lottery tickets. And when she gets home with a handful of tickets rather than fruit snacks, I'll be the one consoling Rosie and making up a story about why we couldn't afford them. Typical.

 As the front door slammed shut, signalling that my mom left. I swiftly turned around to face Rosie, putting my hands on my hip.