t h r e e

3

I didn't know what I was expecting.

He obviously wasn't just going to just come out when I asked him. I couldn't hear anymore rustling, but I knew he was staring at me from the other side. Maybe he was afraid. I had to get him out of the shed, what if he had pneumonia? There was absolutely no way he wasn't sick, if he was outside for so long- it was freezing out here. My guess was that he probably ran away from home, and found shelter here. Not once did it cross my mind, that he might be dangerous.

Quick as a bird, I ran out of the shed, across the lawn, and back into the house.

"Where did we keep those crackers." I mumbled, trekking across the kitchen not even taking off my boots.

I peered over at Rosie to check up on her — like expected, she was still glued to the TV screen. Zack had also opted to join her, bringing his pencil crayons and comic pages to sit beside her. 

Good. That gives me time to figure out what the heck is going on in the shed. I scoured the cabinets, opening them up one by one.

"Ah, there they are!" My cold hands wrapped around the familiar red box of no name crackers.

Rosie must've heard me, from her spot in front of the TV. She turned around, still clutching her naked barbie doll. "Are those for us?"

"Uh." I slowly approached the front door, getting ready to dart back out. "They're for the birds!"

Rosie's face lit up. "Can we feed them too?"

"Are you feeding them to the crows? Mom's going to be pissed your wasting food." Zack decided to throw in his own opinion, turning his head around to face me.

"Just stay here, don't move." I didn't have time to give them a proper explanation. Rushing out of the house with the box of crackers gripped tightly in my hand, I made my way back out to the shed.

The bitter winter air repeatedly sliced through my skin. It hurt like hell to run through this kind of weather. But whatever I must be feeling now, must be 10 times worse for the boy in the shed.

"Oh shit." I silently cursed, and bit my nearly frozen bottom lip. I should've brought out a blanket along with the crackers.

I ran back into the house once again, being super careful not to make a sound.

I prayed that there would be a spare blanket that I would be able to use, but the only way I would be able to find one, was if one were to materialize out of thin air. All of the ones we had, were being used. This meant I had to use my own. The blanket I was using, was a light airy one meant for spring. I let everyone else use the thick ones.

Well, it's better then nothing. I decided to stuff the thin blanket into my jacket, hoping that my body warmth will rub off on it. It was cold to the touch, since I left it out on my otherwise bare mattress. This will just have to do. I zipped up my jacket, patting it down instinctively.

The stairs creaked as I tip-toed back downstairs. Rosie didn't notice me, but Zack most certainly did. His head turned to the side, silently watching me leave.

I pressed my index finger to my mouth, signalling him to be quiet- my hands were securely clutching onto my jacket, making sure the blanket didn't slip out. My other hand, was still holding onto the box of crackers.

Thankfully, Zack only raised a questioning eyebrow before immersing himself back into whatever show they were watching on the small screen in front of them.